Re: Sample Grammar Sketches?

  • David Peterson
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2009
      On May 2, 2009, at 10◊31 AM, Gary Shannon wrote:

      > My current project, ai Basata, is coming along nicely and I'm at the
      > point where I would like to start documenting my phonology,
      > morphology, syntax, and grammar in a somewhat readible way. So far
      > I'm just adding notes to ny day-by-day stream-of-consciousness
      > journal <http://fiziwig.com/ai_basata/> so I tend to have later
      > entries contradicting earlier ones, and later changes making former
      > examples obsolete. It's interesting to jot down my ramblings as they
      > occur, but that doesn't make for a usable documentation of the
      > language.
      >
      > What I would like is to see some samples of CONLANG grammar sketches
      > others have done, so I can see how you organize and arrange your
      > information, and possibly steal some ideas from you. Some links to
      > your grammar sketches would be deeply appreciated.

      http://dedalvs.com/

      -David

      -Jim Morrison

      http://dedalvs.com/
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2, 2009
        Gary Shannon wrote:

        > What I would like is to see some samples of CONLANG grammar
        > sketches others have done, so I can see how you organize and
        > arrange your information, and possibly steal some ideas from
        > you. Some links to your grammar sketches would be deeply
        > appreciated.

        http://cinduworld.tripod.com/contents.htm has the complete Kash grammar, and I think some Prevli. Kash, at least, is done in traditional, almost Structuralist, style.
      • Andrew Jarrette
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 2009
          On Sat, 2 May 2009 13:32:29 -0600, Dirk Elzinga <dirk.elzinga@...> wrote:

          >Two to choose from, both on FrathWiki:
          >
          >http://wiki.frath.net/Shemspreg
          >http://wiki.frath.net/Tepa
          >
          >Hope that helps.
          >
          >Dirk

          You might be interested in the Yahoo group "pieconlang". I have several
          IE-based conlangs posted there (although the grammars, though complete, are
          not fully elaborated, and most are just variations of one grammar). You
          might also be interested in former postings in that group.

          Andrew Jarrette
        • Christopher Bates
          Message 4 of 20 , May 3, 2009
            Well, it's not complete, but a fairly recent copy of my Jaibi grammar
            can be found here:

            http://www.chrisdb.me.uk/conlang/jaibi/grammar.pdf

            I've found that it's quite difficult to organise grammars, too. Every
            time I work on a new conlang, I end up with a slightly different layout,
            and I'm not convinced that there is a one-size-fits-all structure that
            works for all languages.
          • caeruleancentaur
            Message 5 of 20 , May 3, 2009
              --- In conlang@yahoogroups.com, Gary Shannon <fiziwig@...> wrote:

              > What I would like is to see some samples of CONLANG grammar sketches
              > others have done, so I can see how you organize and arrange your
              > information, and possibly steal some ideas from you. Some links to
              > your grammar sketches would be deeply appreciated.

              My Senjecan grammar can be found at wiki.frath.net/Senjecan_grammar. It needs some orthographic updating, but the descriptive rules are in plain English and should be understandable.

              I have also created a Greek dialect called Athonite for my participation in Ill Bethisad. It can be found at wiki.frath.net/MR_language. The major portions of the grammar are complete.

              Charlie
            • Gary Shannon
              Message 6 of 20 , May 3, 2009
                Thank you everyone for you links. I am really enjoying reading through these grammars. There are a lot of good ideas there. Christopher, I like you sections on Natural Language Precedents.

                --gary

                --- On Sun, 5/3/09, caeruleancentaur <caeruleancentaur@...> wrote:

                > My Senjecan grammar can be found at
                > wiki.frath.net/Senjecan_grammar. It needs some
                > orthographic updating, but the descriptive rules are in
                > plain English and should be understandable.
                >
                > I have also created a Greek dialect called Athonite for my
                > participation in Ill Bethisad. It can be found at
                > wiki.frath.net/MR_language. The major portions of the
                > grammar are complete.
                >
                > Charlie
              • M.S. Soderquist
                Message 7 of 20 , May 3, 2009
                  Gary Shannon wrote:
                  > My current project, ai Basata, is coming along nicely and I'm at the point where I would like to start documenting my phonology, morphology, syntax, and grammar in a somewhat readible way. So far I'm just adding notes to ny day-by-day stream-of-consciousness journal <http://fiziwig.com/ai_basata/> so I tend to have later entries contradicting earlier ones, and later changes making former examples obsolete. It's interesting to jot down my ramblings as they occur, but that doesn't make for a usable documentation of the language.
                  >
                  > What I would like is to see some samples of CONLANG grammar sketches others have done, so I can see how you organize and arrange your information, and possibly steal some ideas from you. Some links to your grammar sketches would be deeply appreciated.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > --gary

                  The Nevashi grammar needs some additions and revisions, but it's at
                  http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddkbg7hm_7gj5w4b .
                • Elliott Lash
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 4, 2009
                    Silindion can be found at the following:

                    erelion.free.fr
                    wiki.frath.net/Grammar_of_Silindion

                    ----

                    These are not complete yet. The .fr website is nouns, the frathwiki website is most other things. I am also currently working on a LaTeX grammar of Silindion.

                    -Elliott

                    On Sat, 2 May 2009 10:31:31 -0700, Gary Shannon wrote:

                    > What I would like is to see some samples of CONLANG grammar sketches others
                    > have done, so I can see how you organize and arrange your information, and
                    > possibly steal some ideas from you. Some links to your grammar sketches
                    > would be deeply appreciated.

                    A grammar sketch of Old Albic is found at

                    http://wiki.frath.net/Old_Albic

                    Mark Rosenfelder has some excellent grammar sketches of his conlangs at

                    http://www.zompist.com/virtuver.htm

                    ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
                  • Benct Philip Jonsson
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 4, 2009
                      Gary Shannon skrev:
                      > My current project, ai Basata, is coming along nicely and
                      > I'm at the point where I would like to start documenting
                      > my phonology, morphology, syntax, and grammar in a
                      > somewhat readible way. So far I'm just adding notes to ny
                      > day-by-day stream-of-consciousness journal
                      > <http://fiziwig.com/ai_basata/> so I tend to have later
                      > entries contradicting earlier ones, and later changes
                      > making former examples obsolete. It's interesting to jot
                      > down my ramblings as they occur, but that doesn't make
                      > for a usable documentation of the language.
                      >
                      > What I would like is to see some samples of CONLANG
                      > grammar sketches others have done, so I can see how you
                      > organize and arrange your information, and possibly steal
                      > some ideas from you. Some links to your grammar sketches
                      > would be deeply appreciated.
                      >
                      > Thanks, --gary

                      <http://wiki.frath.net/Sohlob/Kijeb>

                      <http://wiki.frath.net/Maerik/grammar>

                      Not that they are very well done or up to date
                      (at least the Kijeb info is largely outdated)

                      /BP 8^)>
                      "C'est en vain que nos Josués littéraires crient
                      à la langue de s'arrêter; les langues ni le soleil
                      ne s'arrêtent plus. Le jour où elles se *fixent*,
                      c'est qu'elles meurent." (Victor Hugo)
                    • Eugene Oh
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 4, 2009
                        I probably should add mine to the fray, just for completeness purposes (:And
                        then we can all use this thread as a bookmark for any conlang we want to
                        find out about.

                        <http://wiki.frath.net/Classical_Arithide_grammar>

                        I'd have more links given how many conlangs I have, but as you know we tend
                        to have favourites. Heh.

                        Eugene

                        2009/5/4 Benct Philip Jonsson <bpj@...>

                        > Gary Shannon skrev:
                        >
                        > My current project, ai Basata, is coming along nicely and
                        >> I'm at the point where I would like to start documenting
                        >> my phonology, morphology, syntax, and grammar in a
                        >> somewhat readible way. So far I'm just adding notes to ny
                        >> day-by-day stream-of-consciousness journal
                        >> <http://fiziwig.com/ai_basata/> so I tend to have later
                        >> entries contradicting earlier ones, and later changes
                        >> making former examples obsolete. It's interesting to jot
                        >> down my ramblings as they occur, but that doesn't make
                        >> for a usable documentation of the language.
                        >>
                        >> What I would like is to see some samples of CONLANG
                        >> grammar sketches others have done, so I can see how you
                        >> organize and arrange your information, and possibly steal
                        >> some ideas from you. Some links to your grammar sketches
                        >> would be deeply appreciated.
                        >>
                        >> Thanks, --gary
                        >>

                        > <http://wiki.frath.net/Sohlob/Kijeb>
                        >
                        > <http://wiki.frath.net/Maerik/grammar>
                        >
                        > Not that they are very well done or up to date
                        > (at least the Kijeb info is largely outdated)
                        >
                        > /BP 8^)>
                        > --
                        > Benct Philip Jonsson -- melroch atte melroch dotte se
                        > "C'est en vain que nos Josués littéraires crient
                        > à la langue de s'arrêter; les langues ni le soleil
                        > ne s'arrêtent plus. Le jour où elles se *fixent*,
                        > c'est qu'elles meurent." (Victor Hugo)

                      • Lars Finsen
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 4, 2009
                          Den 4. mai. 2009 kl. 15.12 skreiv Eugene Oh:

                          > I probably should add mine to the fray, just for completeness
                          > purposes (:And then we can all use this thread as a bookmark for
                          > any conlang we want to find out about.

                          Okay, here are mine, too:

                          http://www.ortygia.no/uriania/azuriansk-grammatikk-eng.shtml
                          http://www.ortygia.no/uriania/urimod-eng.shtml

                          Though both are sketchy.

                          LEF
                        • Larry Sulky
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 4, 2009
                            Oh, all right already!

                            http://larrysulky.googlepages.com/qakwan-main.htm

                            There! I hope you're satisfied.

                            Peer pressure is such a terrible thing.

                            ---larry
                          • Tony Harris
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 4, 2009
                              Adding my piece to this, there is a grammar on the Alurhsa site
                              (http://alurhsa.org). Click the "Language - Hálye" link, and there's a
                              link titled "Grammar - Gárrévnë" for the web version (doesn't have *all*
                              the latest material) or there's a PDF of the latest version linked at
                              the bottom of the Language-Hálye page.

                              The grammar is not *complete*, but mainly what's missing is detailed
                              info on verb tense usage and irregular verbs, and the section on
                              "Descriptives". The Alurhsa grammar divides word catagories according
                              to the native grammarians' method, not necessarily according to the
                              Western Terran norm, even though Alurhsa does have a lot of similarities
                              with IE and other nominative/accusative style languages.