Re: size of your dictionary

  • Elane Deren sa-Imgoven
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2009
      The basic CVC rootspace of Layaklan comprises 13,500 entries. Of that total, we
      currently have about 3,800 roots already defined, and maybe an equal number of
      derived forms (such as adverbials, conjunctions, etc.). We probably have about
      1100 verbs now, but need not enter verbal forms in the working dictionaries as
      Layaklan's verbal conjugation is utterly and implacably regular.

      Of course, like most conglangs, Layaklan is very much a work-in-progress. 3,800
      roots is a lot, when one has few people with whom to converse. I should guess
      that I have about 600 roots in daily working memory. Michael might have twice
      that number at his command, but then again he's had much more practice at it.

      The dictionaries and lexicons are mainly maintained here as OpenOffice.org
      Writer documents, and then converted to 'frozen' .pdf files before they find
      their way up into the Web. Writer is an ungainly tool for this work, but it
      does allow for fluent reformatting of the printed working papers.