Re: How long did people live in bygone times?

  • Sai Emrys
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
      Also one of WP's references is good:

      http://www.soc.upenn.edu/courses/2003/spring/soc621_iliana/readings/kapl00d.pdf

      Not across-the-ages but does give detailed info & graphs of mortality
      over lifetime. They use 15 as the cutoff age - mortality to 15 and
      life expectancy once reaching 15.

      - Sai
    • Eric Christopherson
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
        On Apr 1, 2009, at 2:02 PM, Paul Schleitwiler, FCM wrote:
        > But people had an expectation that a man's life span, post
        > childhood, would
        > be 'four score and ten' or ninety years.

        I believe what you mean is "threescore years and ten" (which is from
        the Bible).
      • Alex Fink
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
          On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:02:57 -0500, Paul Schleitwiler, FCM
          <pjschleitwilerfcm@...> wrote:

          >What you want is 'historical adult mortality rates'.

          Apologies that I'm beside the point,
          but I love how that line and the subject impeccably scan...

          Alex
        • Paul Schleitwiler, FCM
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2009
            You are correct. Confusion with the Gettysburg Address probably. Thank you
            for pointing it out.
            God bless you always, all ways,
            Paul

            On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Eric Christopherson <rakko@...>wrote:

            > On Apr 1, 2009, at 2:02 PM, Paul Schleitwiler, FCM wrote:
            >
            >> But people had an expectation that a man's life span, post childhood,
            >> would
            >> be 'four score and ten' or ninety years.
            >>

            > I believe what you mean is "threescore years and ten" (which is from the
            > Bible).

          • David McCann
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2009
              On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 20:42 +0200, Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:

              > Does anyone know anywhere I can find data on how long people
              > could expect to live in old times once they had managed to
              > reach adulthood -- i.e. basically life expectancy with
              > infant mortality deduced.

              I have the percentages for different age groups in 18th century Peru;
              not quite what you asked, but it gives you an idea:

              0-9: 24%
              10-19: 20%
              20-29: 17%
              30-39: 15%
              40-49: 11%
              50-59: 7%
              60-69: 4%
              70+: 2%

              Actuaries have tables of life expectancy at various ages, and these were
              first calculated by Edmond Halley. His paper on the topic for the Royal
              Society is available at

              http://www.pierre-marteau.com/editions/1693-mortality.html