Re: does conlanging change your sense of reality?

  • andrew
    Message 1 of 75 , Apr 1, 2009
      On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Peter Bleackley wrote:

      > OK, here's a slightly weird one for you.
      > Khanga�yagon is spoken by wizards, who because of
      > their magical gifts, are all synaesthetes. I'm
      > not a synaesthete, but recently I was trying to
      > think up words for herbs and spices. I spent a
      > lot of time in my kitchen, sniffing at jars and
      > trying to find a word that fit - or thinking up
      > words and then searching for something that smelt
      > right for the sound. My thought processes at one
      > point went something like this.
      > "zurvin... Is that cloves?" <sniff> "No,
      > definitely not cloves. How about thyme?" <sniff>
      > "Yes, that's right, zurvin is thyme."

      There may be a sub-conscious pun working there, see
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zurvan :)

      - Andrew.

      --
      Andrew Smith -- hobbit@... --
      http://hobbit.griffler.co.nz/homepage.html

      "If you are gonna rebell you have to wear our uniform."
    • Paul Schleitwiler, FCM
      Message 75 of 75 , Apr 3, 2009
        Everyone has 'muscle memory'. Notice that little children have to perform a
        'dance' when relating to you about something they observed. They have to put
        their bodies into the positions they were in to recall that memory.
        We all have a major sense that we use to store and recall memories. Visual,
        aural, olfactory, gustation, tactile and kinesthetic. But everyone has
        kinesthetic memory and that is why they wave their hands, shake their heads,
        shuffle their feet etc. a.n..
        The old, non-pc, joke about how to gag an Italian - tie his hands.
        Dio lo benedice sempre, tutte le maniere,
        Paul