The NEW Kayasahtan Characters

  • J. Burke
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2009
      When I posted my syllabary a few days back, I accidentally linked to an old version of the characters. This was the original message, which describes how the writing system works:

      http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0903d&L=conlang&T=0&F=&S=&P=14891

      Below are links to the new, current version of the syllabary:

      http://www.geocities.com/rtoennis/Cursive_In_Series.png

      http://www.geocities.com/rtoennis/Cursive_Rotations.png

      In the current version, the symbols make more visual sense, I think, and they're more stylistically consistent; the symbols for similar sounds look more alike, without being too similar and without the whole system being featural per se. Series I and II, the stops/affricate and the nasals, are open curves; Series III, the fricatives, have single loops; and Series IV, the liquid and semivowels, have two loops. Which orientations represent which vowels have also changed; the default (+a) direction is now northward, as opposed to westward. There's a cultural reason for that particular change, but it'd take a while to explain.