Chinese whispers game

  • Sai Emrys
    Message 1 of 69 , Feb 24 9:41 PM
      Stealing from the ZBB's Ephemera (:-O I know) and Gary Shannon, a game:

      With each response to this thread, add & apply one change to the
      ruleset in the previous email. Can be eg a sound change, grammar
      change, orthographic change, whatever.

      If you need to clarify something about the existing ruleset, feel free
      to tweak them; otherwise just copy n' paste. Use your own 'lect in
      applying changes.

      In your email, give the new-rule-following corpus text (below) plus
      the full list of current rules, newest last.

      Corpus text:

      The Babel Fish is small, yellow, leech-like, and simultaneously
      translates from one spoken language to another. When inserted into the
      ear, its nutrition processes convert sound waves into brain waves,
      neatly crossing the language divide between any species you should
      happen to meet whilst travelling in space.

      I'll start. Below this line is what your response would look like:

      The Babel Fiis is small, yellow, leeit-like, and simultaneously
      translates from one spoken languaid to another. When inserted into the
      ear, its nutriison processes convert sound waves into brain waves,
      neatly crossing the languaid divide between any speises you isould
      happen to meet whilst travelling in space.

      /alveopalatal/ -> _i(alveolar)_ in all contexts - i.e. /S/, /Z/, /tS/,
      /dZ/ -> _is_, _iz_, _it_, _id_ respectively

      - Sai
    • Garth Wallace
      Message 69 of 69 , Mar 1, 2009
        On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Tristan McLeay <conlang@...> wrote:
        > On 01/03/09 01:20:46, Gary Shannon wrote:
        >>
        >> In fact, I'll wager an acceptably comprehensible version of English
        >> could be devised using just those three sounds.
        >
        > N ccptbly cmprhnsbl vrsn f nglsh cn b dvsd ysng jst cnsnnts.

        I tried coming up with a "spelling reform" for English that was an
        abjad made of Latin letters. Stressed vowels were written in full but
        unstressed ones were shown with optional diacritics placed above or
        below consonants. It was kind of a mess, actually.