Re: French

    Message 1 of 147 , Feb 3, 2009
      Mark Reed wrote:

      > I've learned a lot about português pronunciation.
      > I'm still confused
      > about the <ang> though. Is there a [N] anywhere, or
      > is it pronounced
      > the same as if it were spelled <ãg>?

      Judging from the replies, it appears to be free variation (or personal/dialectal idiosyncracy?) between [a~g] and [aNg]; probably in the latter the a is still nasalized, at least somewhat......(and I suspect even in the former, there might be an intrusive [N] as the velum closes for the g).

      The only real free variation in AmEngl. I can think if is "economic(s), economical" with initial [i] or [E], often in the same discourse. Other alternants, like "either" ['iDr=] ~ ['aiDr=] or "tomato" [t@'meyto ~ t@'mAto] seem to be regional, maybe even class features.
      Message 147 of 147 , Feb 8, 2009
        Various people commented:

        --- On Wed, 2/4/09, <deinx nxtxr> <deinx.nxtxr@...> wrote:
        > > <romiltz@...> wrote:
        > > > Ah yes, same here. Some people also vary
        > "root" [rUt ~ rut] but I
        > > > think that may be regional usage ([rut])
        > conflicting with
        > > more "standard" [rUt].
        > >
        > > I didn't know [rUt] was considered the more
        > standard
        > > pronunciation of "root". It's
        > definitely [rut] around here.
        >
        > [rut] for me too. "route" and variants are
        > definitely [raUt], except maybe
        > for the famous song "Route 66".

        On due consideration, perhaps I was being Midwest-o-centric...? It's likely [rut] is more widespread than Midwest [rUt].