"to cause" in Ancient Greek

  • Campbell Nilsen
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009
      What is the ancient Greek verb for "to cause"?

      "Define 'cynical'."-M. Mudd
    • Philip Newton
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009
        On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 15:58, Campbell Nilsen <cactus95@...> wrote:
        > What is the ancient Greek verb for "to cause"?

        ποιέω, I think -- you "make someone/something do something", as in
        English (i.e. + acc. + inf.).

        Cheers,
        --
        Philip Newton <philip.newton@...>
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
          Philip Newton wrote:
          > On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 15:58, Campbell Nilsen <cactus95@...>
          > wrote:
          >> What is the ancient Greek verb for "to cause"?
          >
          > ποιέω, I think -- you "make someone/something do something", as in
          > English (i.e. + acc. + inf.).

          You think correctly :)

          Yes, ποιέω _poieo:_ (I do, I make) may, among its many related meanings,
          mean "I cause, I bring about that..." with the accusative & infinitive,
          as you say. Indeed, it is by far the most commonly used verb with that
          meaning.

          Other verbs which may be used are occasionally found with similar
          meaning are:
          ἐργάζομαι _ergazomai_ "I work, labor, perform"
          παρέχω parek_ho: "I produce, yield, provide"
          παρασκευάζω paraskeuazo: "I provide, supply, furnish"

          CENEDL HEB IAITH, CENEDL HEB GALON.
          (A nation without a language is a
          nation without a heart)
          [Welsh proverb]