Re: Spoken programming language

  • Alex Fink
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 3, 2009
      On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:22:05 -0800, Rebecca Bettencourt <beckiergb@...>
      wrote:

      >I suggest the people interested in this thread take a look at HyperTalk:
      >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTalk

      And Inform 7.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inform#Inform_7
      Used for describing the world in interactive fiction pieces, so an extremely
      natural setting for declarative statements. (And for that matter Inform 6,
      which was for the same domain but used C-like syntax.)

      I suggest that, given that "(apple.color == red)" in our generic imperative
      language evaluates to a truth value, its best Englishing is "_whether_ the
      apple is red".

      Alex
    • Alex Fink
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 3, 2009
        On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 18:17:36 -0500, Alex Fink <000024@...> wrote:

        >And Inform 7.

        in which connexion I should have mentioned
        http://www.inform-fiction.org/I7Downloads/Documents/WhitePaper.pdf
        containing the designer Graham Nelson's accounts of his adaptation of
        natural language (section 1b) and the semantic theory which underlies it
        (section 2).

        Alex
      • Lars Finsen
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 3, 2009
          Den 3. jan. 2009 kl. 22.30 skreiv Paul Kershaw:

          > I think a major obstacle to using computer language syntax for
          > natural languages is the function of each sort of communication.
          > Computer language is used almost exclusively to give commands to a
          > subordinate system (i.e., the computer). If we're asking if an
          > apple is red, it's because we want to know so that we can give an
          > order concerning the apple (e.g., if (apple.color = red) pick
          > (apple) -> "Is the apple red? If so, pick it!"), not because we're
          > just curious or making idle conversation. So regardless, if we
          > wanted to make computer language robust enough to tell stories, I
          > agree, we'd need to build quite a bit of new structures.

          I think you could tell just about any story in Smalltalk. Smalltalk
          works by declaring objects and communicating with them. It is largely
          programmed in itself, and any structure you lack can be defined more
          or less easily.

          Den 3. jan. 2009 kl. 22.15 skreiv Ina van der Vegt:

          > {
          > fruit apple == new fruit();
          > apple.color = colors.red;
          > apple.shape = shapes.approximate.sphere;
          > apple.taste = tastes.sweet & tastes.sour;
          >
          > if(apple.age > apple.age.old){
          > apple.color = brown;
          > apple.taste = tastes.sweet; //No longer sour.
          > apple.nutrition = nutrition.poor;}
          > }
          >
          > The apple is a red coloured fruit that is approximately shaped like a
          > sphere. It tastes sweet and sour. If an apple's age is old, it's
          > colour becomes brown, it's solely sweet, and it's nutritionaal value
          > becomes poor.

          Smalltalk version:

          sphere:= Shape new: #sphereEquation.
          apple:= Product new: #fruit colour: #red shape: sphere approximated
          taste: #(#sweet #sour) nutritionalValue: #good.

          The apple now needs a message like this:

          age: value
          value = #old ifTrue:
          [colour:= brown. taste: #(#sweet) nutritionalValue: #poor].
          ^self

          If you send the message "age: #old" to the apple, it returns a
          modified self. If you send the "age:" message with any other value,
          it returns an unmodified self.

          Smalltalk is the mother of all object-oriented systems, and still the
          most fun to use.

          LEF
        • Gary Shannon
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 3, 2009
            --- On Sat, 1/3/09, Alex Fink <000024@...> wrote:

            > >I suggest the people interested in this thread take a
            > look at HyperTalk:
            > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTalk
            >
            > And Inform 7.
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inform#Inform_7

            And in TADS, also a programming language used for interactive fiction writing.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TADS

            --gary
          • Paul Kershaw
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 4, 2009
              > >I suggest the people interested in this thread take a
              > > look at HyperTalk:
              > > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTalk
              > >
              > > And Inform 7.
              > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inform#Inform_7
              > And in TADS, also a programming language used for interactive fiction writing.
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TADS
              > --gary

              While all of these are interesting, they seem to not be attempts at robust natural language replacements, but rather computer languages designed for framing natural language snippets into a narrative flow. For instance, here's an example from TADS (http://www.tads.org/t3doc/doc/tourguide/index.html):

              stoneLanding : Room 'Landing' 'the landing'
              "A pair of doors lead south from this narrow landing, from which
              a narrow flight of stone steps lead down to the north. "
              down = slStairsDown
              north asExit(down)
              south : AskConnector
              {
              promptMessage = "There are two doors you could go through to the south . "
              travelAction = GoThroughAction
              travelObjs = [leftDoor, rightDoor]
              travelObjsPhrase = 'of them'
              }
              ;

              The computer language describes the basic environment, but the portions that actually communicate with the human user are in plain English.

              Or maybe I'm drifting away from the intent of the original question?

              -- Paul
            • Erbrice
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 5, 2009
                What is lair in
                > lair:= Place new: #rural position: town position addNotTooMuch.
                ?

                the text created by this langage is very poetic
                so what is with the beautifull girl and the dragon?
                by the way the code to describe color of the girl is hard for my
                imagination, little bit too "domaine: computer".
                Erb
              • Philip Newton
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 6, 2009
                  On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 03:15, Erbrice <erbrice@...> wrote:
                  > What is lair in
                  >>
                  >> lair:= Place new: #rural position: town position addNotTooMuch.
                  >
                  > ?

                  What is "dictionary"?

                  (e.g. http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/lair )

                  Cheers,