Re: alíta na-lahéap

  • caeruleancentaur
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
      Amanda Babcock wrote:
      > à alíta na-lahéap vó'c ki'tyraisödàhlv'n!

      Senjecas:
      sifa yuun-met-am!
      prosperous new-year-ACC.sg

      "I wish you" understood.

      Charlie
    • Matthew Turnbull
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
        Jorayn doesn't really have a concept for year, but one might say

        mayaya'kko tiirsa vijerétoòmol ovo'yaliiyotuncar

        ma-yaya'-kko tiirsa vijeré-toòmo-l ovo'-yaliiyotuncar
        good-2SG.IMP.PRES-ADV during begin-3SG.PRES-REL this-year year =
        sun circle
        be well during which is begining this year
        May it be that you are well during this coming year.

        Abbreviations
        IMP - Imperative mood
        REL - relative clause mood
        ADV - adverbial form of word
        PRES - present tense
      • Michael Poxon
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
          Snap - since the Auleri don't actually measure years (which usually are said
          to start around the Spring equinox) there's no "New Year's Day" as such,
          so one would use the durative of Lamalina "new growth" which is the turning
          point of the year:
          Elgora lamalinalla gelde (since there is no verb "to be", imperatives in
          such a situation are suffixed to the adjective) thus:
          el-gora "be (polite) good"
          lamalina-lla "from the time of 'new year's day' "
          gelde "to/for you all"

          Mike

          Jorayn doesn't really have a concept for year, but one might say

          mayaya'kko tiirsa vijerétoòmol ovo'yaliiyotuncar
        • Carsten Becker
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
            Hi,

            Perikyan hiro mino!
            year happy new

            With regards to such wishes I tend not to use case marking because it'd
            be understood anyway. In my conlang the word for 'year' is derived from
            'sun circle' as well: perin, 'sun' + hikyan, 'circle'.

            Carsten

            --
            Tingrana, 7' Dalming 2318 ya 00:58:26 pd
            Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 07:55:38 pm
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
              On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 00:15:55 -0500, Amanda Babcock Furrow
              <langs@...> wrote:

              >à alíta na-lahéap vó'c ki'tyraisödàhlv'n!
              >
              >a a'lita na- la- h- 'ea -p 'vo -k
              >OPT N REL INCEPT EPENTH V.INF IMP 2p.PL ACC
              >O year which begins to be you
              >
              >ki- tirai -so -'da -K- -v -n
              >FUT ADJ EQU CAUS OPT PERF 3p.N
              >will happy be make may it
              >
              >O may the year which is beginning make you all happy!

              That's a rather long wish! Is that particularly formal, or is
              that the usual way of saying it?

              The Njenskan calendar's new year is the day after the solstice,
              so we're a bit late for this -- but, in the singular:

              Thandi hel handeis!
              thand-i hel hand-eis!
              year-SG.ACC good experience-OPT.2PS
              Have a good year!

              hel has conontations of a feast, a warm fire, a cheery song
              and family. Not the same kind of "good" as righteous or just.
              "Merry" might be a better translation in this case, but oh well.

              For all of you, in the plural:
              thandi hel handádd!

              Njenska is normally SVO, so I'm not sure why this is (S)OV
              but it just seems better that way. Maybe it's a fixed
              expression? A lot of optative phrases seem to go SOV...

              Thandi hel handádd,

              Joel
            • Benct Philip Jonsson
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2009
                Carsten Becker wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > Perikyan hiro mino!
                > year happy new
                >
                > With regards to such wishes I tend not to use case marking because it'd
                > be understood anyway. In my conlang the word for 'year' is derived from
                > 'sun circle' as well: perin, 'sun' + hikyan, 'circle'.
                >
                > Carsten

                In Icelandic _Sólhringur_ 'sun ring' means '24 h period'.

                /BP
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009

                  Wot a coincidence. The Prevli word for year that I used _nnavge_ [(@)'ndavge]is derived from the word for 'spin, revolve' /nabiN/. It is actually somewhat obsolete, as almost everyone uses Kash _pehan_ ['pexan], in Prevli ['pehan]; if it is ever nativized, it would be /pehan/, surface form _pe:nä_.