Re: alíta na-lahéap

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2008
      Amanda Babcock wrote:
      > à alíta na-lahéap vó'c ki'tyraisödàhlv'n!

      Prevli:
      sasaná há o nuvnå nnavge!
      really.bright EXCL DEF new year
      (nuvnå nnavge is ['nuvnO 'ndavge])

      Kash:
      endo minda pehan velu!
      OPT happy year new
    • caeruleancentaur
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
        Amanda Babcock wrote:
        > à alíta na-lahéap vó'c ki'tyraisödàhlv'n!

        Senjecas:
        sifa yuun-met-am!
        prosperous new-year-ACC.sg

        "I wish you" understood.

        Charlie
      • Matthew Turnbull
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
          Jorayn doesn't really have a concept for year, but one might say

          mayaya'kko tiirsa vijerétoòmol ovo'yaliiyotuncar

          ma-yaya'-kko tiirsa vijeré-toòmo-l ovo'-yaliiyotuncar
          good-2SG.IMP.PRES-ADV during begin-3SG.PRES-REL this-year year =
          sun circle
          be well during which is begining this year
          May it be that you are well during this coming year.

          Abbreviations
          IMP - Imperative mood
          REL - relative clause mood
          ADV - adverbial form of word
          PRES - present tense
        • Michael Poxon
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
            Snap - since the Auleri don't actually measure years (which usually are said
            to start around the Spring equinox) there's no "New Year's Day" as such,
            so one would use the durative of Lamalina "new growth" which is the turning
            point of the year:
            Elgora lamalinalla gelde (since there is no verb "to be", imperatives in
            such a situation are suffixed to the adjective) thus:
            el-gora "be (polite) good"
            lamalina-lla "from the time of 'new year's day' "
            gelde "to/for you all"

            Mike

            Jorayn doesn't really have a concept for year, but one might say

            mayaya'kko tiirsa vijerétoòmol ovo'yaliiyotuncar
          • Carsten Becker
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
              Hi,

              Perikyan hiro mino!
              year happy new

              With regards to such wishes I tend not to use case marking because it'd
              be understood anyway. In my conlang the word for 'year' is derived from
              'sun circle' as well: perin, 'sun' + hikyan, 'circle'.

              Carsten

              --
              Tingrana, 7' Dalming 2318 ya 00:58:26 pd
              Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 07:55:38 pm
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
                On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 00:15:55 -0500, Amanda Babcock Furrow
                <langs@...> wrote:

                >à alíta na-lahéap vó'c ki'tyraisödàhlv'n!
                >
                >a a'lita na- la- h- 'ea -p 'vo -k
                >OPT N REL INCEPT EPENTH V.INF IMP 2p.PL ACC
                >O year which begins to be you
                >
                >ki- tirai -so -'da -K- -v -n
                >FUT ADJ EQU CAUS OPT PERF 3p.N
                >will happy be make may it
                >
                >O may the year which is beginning make you all happy!

                That's a rather long wish! Is that particularly formal, or is
                that the usual way of saying it?

                The Njenskan calendar's new year is the day after the solstice,
                so we're a bit late for this -- but, in the singular:

                Thandi hel handeis!
                thand-i hel hand-eis!
                year-SG.ACC good experience-OPT.2PS
                Have a good year!

                hel has conontations of a feast, a warm fire, a cheery song
                and family. Not the same kind of "good" as righteous or just.
                "Merry" might be a better translation in this case, but oh well.

                For all of you, in the plural:
                thandi hel handádd!

                Njenska is normally SVO, so I'm not sure why this is (S)OV
                but it just seems better that way. Maybe it's a fixed
                expression? A lot of optative phrases seem to go SOV...

                Thandi hel handádd,

                Joel
              • Benct Philip Jonsson
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2009
                  Carsten Becker wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Perikyan hiro mino!
                  > year happy new
                  >
                  > With regards to such wishes I tend not to use case marking because it'd
                  > be understood anyway. In my conlang the word for 'year' is derived from
                  > 'sun circle' as well: perin, 'sun' + hikyan, 'circle'.
                  >
                  > Carsten

                  In Icelandic _Sólhringur_ 'sun ring' means '24 h period'.

                  /BP
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009

                    Wot a coincidence. The Prevli word for year that I used _nnavge_ [(@)'ndavge]is derived from the word for 'spin, revolve' /nabiN/. It is actually somewhat obsolete, as almost everyone uses Kash _pehan_ ['pexan], in Prevli ['pehan]; if it is ever nativized, it would be /pehan/, surface form _pe:nä_.