testing

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 20, 2008
      Testing to see is these characters survive Yahoo mail:

      á é í ó ú (vowels with accute accent)
      à è ì ò ù (ditto with grave)
      ä ë ï ö ü ÿ (ditto with umlaut)
    • <deinx nxtxr>
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 20, 2008
        > [mailto:CONLANG@...] On Behalf Of Roger Mills

        > á é í ó ú (vowels with accute accent)
        > à è ì ò ù (ditto with grave)
        > ä ë ï ö ü ÿ (ditto with umlaut)

        They look good here. I figured I'd forward them back to see if they survive
        the trip on my new machine (same software though freshly installed).
      • Philip Newton
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 20, 2008
          On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 20:00, <deinx nxtxr> <deinx.nxtxr@...> wrote:
          >> [mailto:CONLANG@...] On Behalf Of Roger Mills
          >
          >> á é í ó ú (vowels with accute accent)
          >> à è ì ò ù (ditto with grave)
          >> ä ë ï ö ü ÿ (ditto with umlaut)
          >
          > They look good here. I figured I'd forward them back to see if they survive
          > the trip on my new machine (same software though freshly installed).

          Looked good to me both times.

          But then, all those letters are in Latin-1, so they're pretty "safe".

          Capital Y-umlaut might be a bit more tricky, though, since that's not
          in Latin-1 (probably since in French French, capital letters don't
          bear diacritics AIUI).

          Cheers,
          --
          Philip Newton <philip.newton@...>
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 4, 2009
            For two days now, for unknown reasons I've been getting bounces on msgs.
            sent from my Yahoo mail account. Anyone else?

            So now I'm sending this via the Conlang website; hope it works.........
          • Philip Newton
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 4, 2009
              2009/11/4 Roger Mills <romiltz@...>:
              > For two days now, for unknown reasons I've been getting bounces on msgs.
              > sent from my Yahoo mail account. Anyone else?
              >
              > So now I'm sending this via the Conlang website; hope it works.........

              Looks good from here.

              Cheers,
              Philip
              --
              Philip Newton <philip.newton@...>
            • Ronald Craig
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 4, 2009
                On Nov 5, 2009, at 4:24 AM, Roger Mills wrote:

                > For two days now, for unknown reasons I've been getting bounces on
                > msgs.
                > sent from my Yahoo mail account. Anyone else?
                >
                > So now I'm sending this via the Conlang website; hope it
                > works.........

                I noticed yesterday morning that several list messages hadn't being
                filtered correctly (I was filtering on the whole address string, CONLANG@...
                ); when I checked the list address in the messages, it was CONLANG@...
                . (And actually, that is what Mail plugged in when I hit Reply to
                Roger's message.) I tried posting to the list about it, but my
                messages were bounced. I tried contacting Henrik via conlang-request@...
                (the address given for the list owner on the website) and it
                bounced, too. I finally got through to him by mailing him directly,
                but from his answer this morning it appears I wasn't clear enough
                about what was happening.

                Let's see if this gets through....

                Ron, confoosed, in Mito
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 4, 2009
                  --- On Wed, 11/4/09, Ronald Craig <rjcraig@...> wrote:

                  > > For two days now, for unknown reasons I've been
                  > getting bounces on msgs.
                  > > sent from my Yahoo mail account. Anyone else?
                  > >
                  > > So now I'm sending this via the Conlang website; hope
                  > it works.........
                  >
                  > I noticed yesterday morning that several list messages
                  > hadn't being filtered correctly (I was filtering on the
                  > whole address string, CONLANG@...);
                  > when I checked the list address in the messages, it was ****CONLANG@....****

                  That also cropped up in the bounce-o-grams from Yahoo.

                  > (And actually, that is what Mail plugged in when I hit Reply
                  > to Roger's message.) I tried posting to the list about it,
                  > but my messages were bounced. I tried contacting Henrik via
                  > conlang-request@...
                  > (the address given for the list owner on the website) and it
                  > bounced, too. I finally got through to him by mailing him
                  > directly, but from his answer this morning it appears I
                  > wasn't clear enough about what was happening.

                  Exactly my experience.

                  I'm replying here via Yahoo mail, but I typed the conlang addre. in by hand. Let's see.....

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 4, 2009

                    > I'm replying here via Yahoo mail, but I typed the conlang
                    > addre. in by hand. Let's see.....

                    Hey, that worked!! Now let's see if this reply goes thru..........
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 4, 2009
                      --- On Wed, 11/4/09, Roger Mills <romiltz@...> wrote:

                      > > I'm replying here via Yahoo mail, but I typed the
                      > conlang
                      > > addre. in by hand. Let's see.....
                      > > >
                      > Hey, that worked!! Now let's see if this reply goes
                      > thru..........

                      Yes it did. Problem solved???? Let/s kill this thread for the nonce.
                      (I also retyped the address in my Yahoo address list.)
                      What the H is "ciswip"???
                    • Ronald Craig
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 4, 2009
                        On Nov 5, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Roger Mills wrote:

                        > What the H is "ciswip"???

                        Part of the network at Brown, I would assume. Computer & Information
                        Science Wild Internet Puzzler?

                        Your messages are now showing the correct address in the To: and Reply-
                        To: headers.

                        I guess the problem is solved. (Unless this one doesn't get
                        through....) Kill thread!

                        R.
                      • Mark J. Reed
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 5, 2009
                          listserv.ciswip is another name for listserv in that domain; at least,
                          they have the same IP address (in which th case I would expect one of
                          them to be an alias for the other instead of duplicating the data, but
                          whatever). Apparently it only accepts mail for the one name (without
                          the "ciswip") and not the other.

                          Not sure how the ciswip showed up in the first place - if you do a
                          reverse lookup on the IP address, you get yet a third name,
                          bootes.services.brown.edu, presumably the actual hostname of the
                          machine that runs the listserv and probably several other related
                          services for the University.

                          --
                          Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>