Re: A script puzzle

  • Alex Fink
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
      On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:43:06 +0100, Benct Philip Jonsson <bpj@...> wrote:

      >Is it supposed to be a lot of digits with diacritics?

      It is.

      >It looks lake an evil cousin of Paleotype if you ask me!

      *googles* Ooh, that's pretty painful as well.

      I would have liked to have gone for a contrast between old-style figures and
      constant-height figures in place of the italics and roman, or something like
      that; but I wouldn't have been able to distinguish the 6s and the 8s in that
      case. In any event the use of a slanting contrast per se is not a feature
      of the script this is based on.

      Alex
    • David J. Peterson
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
        Hey, did you ever consider writing puzzles for SpecGram?
        We could always use more...

        http://www.specgram.com/

        -David

        -Jim Morrison

        http://dedalvs.free.fr/
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
          Hallo!

          On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 03:15:17 -0500, Alex Fink wrote:

          > Something I recently read in Mikael Parkvall's _Limits of Language_ (great
          > linguisticsy resource, btw) gave me an idea for a re-envisioning of a
          > certain script which would serve reasonably as a code for English. I've
          > wasted the last two and a half hours writing and coaxing LaTeX into
          > producing the following sample:
          > http://000024.org/conlang/scriptpuzzle.pdf
          >
          > (a) Decode this.
          > (b) Which natscript was the template?

          It reminds me a bit of Maimieux's Pasigraphie, (which doesn't
          use digits, but a small set of basic symbols that look more
          like digits than letters, with diacritics), from the overall
          visual appearance, but that isn't quite the thing, I guess.

          > Hints (perhaps): I didn't feel like making this read RtL as arguably it
          > should have, and I've also omitted a bunch of superscript circles to reduce
          > clutter. My English lect is rhotic, maximally low back vowel merging, etc
          > etc.

          Hmmmm - lots of diacritics including lots of superscript circles,
          and written right to left? That sounds a lot like Arabic, but
          your script doesn't resemble that much.

          ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
        • Alex Fink
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
            On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 21:05:57 +0100, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...>
            wrote:

            >Hallo!
            >
            >On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 03:15:17 -0500, Alex Fink wrote:
            [...]
            >> http://000024.org/conlang/scriptpuzzle.pdf
            [...]
            >It reminds me a bit of Maimieux's Pasigraphie, (which doesn't
            >use digits, but a small set of basic symbols that look more
            >like digits than letters, with diacritics), from the overall
            >visual appearance, but that isn't quite the thing, I guess.

            I can't google up much good information about Maimieux's pasigraphie.
            What's it like?

            >> Hints (perhaps): I didn't feel like making this read RtL as arguably it
            >> should have, and I've also omitted a bunch of superscript circles to reduce
            >> clutter. [...]
            >
            >Hmmmm - lots of diacritics including lots of superscript circles,
            >and written right to left? That sounds a lot like Arabic, but
            >your script doesn't resemble that much.

            Not Arabic, no, but you're within striking distance: the script in question,
            and those features in particular, were definitely formed under Arabic
            influence.

            Alex
          • Peter Collier
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
              Maybe Urdu, or Persian then?

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                Hallo!

                On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 16:11:01 -0500, Alex Fink wrote:

                > On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 21:05:57 +0100, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...>
                > wrote:
                > [...]
                >
                > >It reminds me a bit of Maimieux's Pasigraphie, (which doesn't
                > >use digits, but a small set of basic symbols that look more
                > >like digits than letters, with diacritics), from the overall
                > >visual appearance, but that isn't quite the thing, I guess.
                >
                > I can't google up much good information about Maimieux's pasigraphie.
                > What's it like?

                It is a written-only taxonomic language using twelve basic glyphs.
                These glyphs have fairly simple shapes; I don't remember all of
                them, but one looks like a "7", another like a "3". These glyphs
                could also be used as diacritics.

                > >Hmmmm - lots of diacritics including lots of superscript circles,
                > >and written right to left? That sounds a lot like Arabic, but
                > >your script doesn't resemble that much.
                >
                > Not Arabic, no, but you're within striking distance: the script in question,
                > and those features in particular, were definitely formed under Arabic
                > influence.

                Could be Thaana, a script formerly used for Divehi (Maldivian):

                http://www.omniglot.com/writing/thaana.htm

                ... brpught to you by the Weeping Elf
              • Alex Fink
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                  On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 21:19:12 -0000, Peter Collier
                  <petecollier@...> wrote:

                  >Maybe Urdu, or Persian then?

                  It's good, but it's not right...

                  On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 22:42:56 +0100, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...>
                  wrote:

                  >Could be Thaana, a script formerly used for Divehi (Maldivian):
                  >
                  >http://www.omniglot.com/writing/thaana.htm

                  Bingo, it's Thaana.

                  Omniglot says
                  | Some of the Taana letters were derived from Dhives akuru, while others
                  were modelled
                  | on Arabic numerals.
                  but AFAICT actually there's no connection between Dhives akuru and Thaana,
                  and Wikipedia is closer to the truth:
                  | The origins of Tāna are unique among the world's alphabets: The first nine
                  letters (h–v)
                  | are derived from the Arabic numerals, whereas the next nine (m–d) were the
                  local Indic
                  | numerals. (See Hindu-Arabic numerals.) The remaining letters for loanwords
                  (z–ch) and
                  | Arabic transliteration are derived from phonetically similar native
                  consonants by means
                  | of diacritics, with the exception of y, which is of unknown origin. This
                  means that Thaana
                  | is one of the few alphabets not derived graphically from the original
                  Semitic alphabet —
                  | unless the Indic numerals were (see Brahmi numerals).

                  Any takers on the decryption? Shouldn't be hard now.

                  Alex
                • Paul Roser
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 5, 2008
                    wrote:

                    >Hallo!
                    >
                    >On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 16:11:01 -0500, Alex Fink wrote:
                    >
                    >> On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 21:05:57 +0100, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...>
                    >> wrote:
                    >> [...]
                    >>
                    >> >It reminds me a bit of Maimieux's Pasigraphie, (which doesn't
                    >> >use digits, but a small set of basic symbols that look more
                    >> >like digits than letters, with diacritics), from the overall
                    >> >visual appearance, but that isn't quite the thing, I guess.
                    >>
                    >> I can't google up much good information about Maimieux's pasigraphie.
                    >> What's it like?
                    >
                    >It is a written-only taxonomic language using twelve basic glyphs.
                    >These glyphs have fairly simple shapes; I don't remember all of
                    >them, but one looks like a "7", another like a "3". These glyphs
                    >could also be used as diacritics.

                    For anyone who can read French (which I, asal, cannot), downloadable copies
                    of De Maimieux's 'Pasigraphie' are available here:
                    http://www.archive.org/details/pasigraphieoupre00maimuoft

                    regards,
                    Bfowol