Translation exercise idea

  • Amanda Babcock Furrow
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2008
      I noticed the other day that the Time-Life First Questions And Answers About...
      series I was reading to my son would make great translation fodder (or, in
      some cases, inspiration for conculturally appropriate parallel texts :)

      Here are some of the topics (each answered in about a paragraph of simple
      text) in one of the books:

      Why is the grass green?
      Why do dandelions get fuzzy?
      How does a dandelion grow from a seed?
      Why do bees buzz around flowers?
      Why do roses have thorns?
      Are flowers alive? (I particularly like this one... lots of conculture
      potential)
      How do birds build nests?
      Why do birds sing different songs?
      How do birds fly?
      Why do some trees look smooth and some trees look rough?
      Where are all those ants going?

      ... that's about half the contents page for the book "Why is the grass
      green". I believe I am going to translate, or possibly reframe/reanswer,
      some of these.

      tylakèhlpë'fö,
      Amanda
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 17, 2008
        A while back, Amanda Babcock wrote:> I noticed the other day that the Time-Life First Questions And Answers About...> series I was reading to my son would make great translation fodder (or, in> some cases, inspiration for conculturally appropriate parallel texts :)> > Here are some of the topics (each answered in about a paragraph of simple> text) in one of the books:>

        In Kash. Can't give answers, but some of the questions (mutantis mutandis) are:
        > Why is the grass green?
        ongar yakundroçe trufa?
        why 3s-green grass (alternate, colloq: yatroçe)
        > Why do dandelions get fuzzy?
        no such plant on Cindu :-( (and no word yet for fuzzy :-( )
        > How does a dandelion grow from a seed? modified:
        kambralun yawunjuk aves alo oniciyi?
        what-manner 3-grow flower from seed-gen
        > Why do bees buzz around flowers?
        ongar iñumuñ kekevula ricundrini aveç?
        why 3pl-buzz bee(analogue) loc-circle-poss flower-pl-- this means they are literally going in circles.

        Alternate, better: ongar iñumuñ kekevula cakaciyur rimorani aveç?
        why ..............go-in-aimless-circles loc-near-poss flower-pl
        > Why do roses have thorns?
        ongar yale kaniciçni tapat eleç ?
        why there-is thorns-poss some plant-pl

        > Are flowers alive?
        aka ikayi aveç?
        Q 3pl-live flower-pl

        > How do birds build nests?
        kambralun irumolu tukrimila NESTS-ni?
        how 3pl-caus-assemble flying-lizards NESTS-poss
        > Why do birds sing different songs?
        ongar ilali tukrimila çunu-çunu
        why 3pl-sing ... different-different
        > How do birds fly?
        kambralun iturin tukrimila?

        > Why do some trees look smooth and some trees look rough?
        Ongar ciyoñi lunjur tapat angeç, sovo angeç liya?
        why appear-poss. smooth some tree-pl, rough tree-pl other
        > Where are all those ants going?
        riyene yuno ciciç taç?
        to-where all insect-pl that-pl

        Funs !!