human language grammars for computers

  • Wesley Parish
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hi

      I'm working my way through some books on the likes of BNF, lex, yacc and so
      on, and I'm wondering if anyone's got any pointers to the way human language
      grammars are parsed etc, by software?

      Thanks

      Wesley Parish
      -----
      Gaul is quartered into three halves. Things which are
      impossible are equal to each other. Guerrilla
      warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
      Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
      of the foolish.
      -----
      Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?
    • Gary Shannon
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
        --- On Sat, 11/1/08, Wesley Parish <wes.parish@...> wrote:

        > From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish@...>

        > Hi
        >
        > I'm working my way through some books on the likes of
        > BNF, lex, yacc and so
        > on, and I'm wondering if anyone's got any pointers
        > to the way human language
        > grammars are parsed etc, by software?

        Google "Natural Language Processing".

        There are Context Free Grammar (CFG) parsers, Ordered CFG parsers (OCFG), link grammars, top down, bottom up, and many more.

        A lot of people are working on computer parsing, and there is a lot of literature on the subject. Myself, I've invented two new methods of machine parsing <http://fiziwig.com/parser/parse2.html> and I'm working on a third right now.

        --gary
      • Alex Fink
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
          On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 00:17:08 +1300, Wesley Parish
          <wes.parish@...> wrote:

          >Hi
          >
          >I'm working my way through some books on the likes of BNF, lex, yacc and so
          >on, and I'm wondering if anyone's got any pointers to the way human language
          >grammars are parsed etc, by software?

          I recently bumped into (probably via Language Log) a Python natural language
          processing toolkit which had an accompanying book that treated parsing
          techniques:
          http://nltk.sourceforge.net/index.php/Book
          esp. chapters 6 through 8.

          Alex
        • Wesley Parish
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
            On Sunday 02 November 2008 03:48, Gary Shannon wrote:
            > --- On Sat, 11/1/08, Wesley Parish <wes.parish@...> wrote:
            > > From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish@...>
            > >
            > > Hi
            > >
            > > I'm working my way through some books on the likes of
            > > BNF, lex, yacc and so
            > > on, and I'm wondering if anyone's got any pointers
            > > to the way human language
            > > grammars are parsed etc, by software?
            >
            > Google "Natural Language Processing".
            >
            > There are Context Free Grammar (CFG) parsers, Ordered CFG parsers (OCFG),
            > link grammars, top down, bottom up, and many more.
            >
            > A lot of people are working on computer parsing, and there is a lot of
            > literature on the subject. Myself, I've invented two new methods of machine
            > parsing <http://fiziwig.com/parser/parse2.html> and I'm working on a third
            > right now.
            >
            > --gary
            > Google "Natural Language Processing".
            >
            > There are Context Free Grammar (CFG) parsers, Ordered CFG parsers (OCFG),
            > link grammars, top down, bottom up, and many more.
            >
            > A lot of people are working on computer parsing, and there is a lot of
            > literature on the subject. Myself, I've invented two new methods of machine
            > parsing <http://fiziwig.com/parser/parse2.html> and I'm working on a third
            > right now.
            >
            > --gary

            Thanks