Re: Of accents & dialects

  • deinx nxtxr
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 31, 2008
      > [mailto:CONLANG@...] On Behalf Of Chris Peters

      > Don't know of a direct answer to this question. But I recall
      > listening to an audiobook recently (I received it as a
      > promotional copy from the publisher -- the title escapes me
      > right now.) The story took place in San Diego, and most of
      > the characters were male. Yet, the voice-actor was a British
      > female. For the most part, she didn't even *try* to imitate
      > an American accent when speaking the dialogue. And when she
      > did, what came through sounded like an attempt to fake a
      > Southern drawl, which is out of place for California.

      I'm still wondering why foreigners tend to sound like Texans when
      they try to imitate an American accent. I'm from California myself,
      and remember once a Swedish girls trying to imitate my speech only
      to sound more like something from the South, which is about as far
      removed from Californian as it gets.
    • Michael Poxon
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 1, 2008
        Whoops! Sorry - I know exactly how this came about, but you won't want to
        hear the sorry tale. Of course you're right. Mea Culpa... and I have family
        in Muswell Hill, too... as well as being a Spurs fan!
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 2, 2008
          On Saturday 01 November 2008 00:29, And Rosta wrote:
          > To honour the gods of pedantry, as is our wont, I shall reply firstly that
          > I had actually already consulted Gillian Anderson's Wikipedia entry, which
          > says "is an American actress ... born in Chicago", and secondly that if
          > Gillian were indeed born in Crouch End (as I in fact was, a year and a bit
          > earlier) she'd be not an Essex girl but a Middlesex girl....

          Technically a hermaphrodite ... ;)

          > Michael Poxon, On 30/10/2008 17:46:
          > > But the lovely Gillian is British, and an Essex girl to boot. Born in
          > > Crouch End!
          > > Mike
          > > But latterly we have had Gwyneth Paltrow, Renee Zellweger, Gillian
          > > Anderson & perhaps others acquit themselves admirably doing English
          > > accents in British films.

          -----
          Gaul is quartered into three halves. Things which are
          impossible are equal to each other. Guerrilla
          warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
          Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
          of the foolish.
          -----
          Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?
        • Ina van der Vegt
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 2, 2008
            2008/11/2 Wesley Parish <wes.parish@...>:
            > On Saturday 01 November 2008 00:29, And Rosta wrote:
            >> To honour the gods of pedantry, as is our wont, I shall reply firstly that
            >> I had actually already consulted Gillian Anderson's Wikipedia entry, which
            >> says "is an American actress ... born in Chicago", and secondly that if
            >> Gillian were indeed born in Crouch End (as I in fact was, a year and a bit
            >> earlier) she'd be not an Essex girl but a Middlesex girl....
            >
            > Technically a hermaphrodite ... ;)

            Hermaphrodite is an outdated term, rarely used by the medical
            community anymore. The correct term would be intersexed person.

            +Ina