Re: TECH: Fonts on the Web? (was Re: Kjaginic: 8 points of articulation)

  • Gary Shannon
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 2, 2008
      --- On Wed, 10/1/08, Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...> wrote:

      > From: Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>
      > Adobe doesn't want you to take one of their
      > fonts that you have to pay for and put it someplace that
      > anyone can download it - for free - automatically! - just by looking
      > at your
      > page.

      A while back, (Feb, 2005 through Oct 2005) there was a thread on the list about my "does-everything" font. Just as a reminder, I came up with a single font that could be used for any conscript, or any pictographic language whatsoever. Each symbol of the font is a piece of a character. A string of characters in ASCII builds a single character in the "Tinkerfont" (as in "Tinker Toy font"). Think of a seven-segment digital display on a digital clock, but with 50 or more segments.

      Here are my original pages that explain and illustrate the concept:

      <http://fiziwig.com/glyph/tinkerfont.html>

      <http://fiziwig.com/glyph/tinker.html>

      Jean-Fran├žois Colson created an improved version which is still available as a ttf download here: <http://users.belgacom.net/bn130627/TinkerFont/>

      Here's the search result on the listserv archives:

      <http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?S2=CONLANG&q=tinkerfont&s=&f=&a=&b=>

      --gary
    • Herman Miller
      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 14, 2008
        John Vertical wrote:

        > Not quite. The contrast can be found in a number of Volta-Congo languages,
        > probably most famously Ewe. Wikipedia claims this to exist also in a
        > southern Bantu language going by the name of Venda...
        >
        > John Vertical

        Could be. I haven't heard recordings of Venda, but I have a Venda
        dictionary I found at a Half Price Books, which has a note about the
        sounds written as "fh" and "vh": "fh, vh are voiceless and voiced
        bilabial fricatives". I assume that plain "f" and "v" are labiodental
        fricatives, but that's not explicitly stated.

        A language with all three of bilabial, labiodental, and dental
        fricatives would be problematic in Kjaginic script, but I could use dots
        to distinguish those as the older Tharkania system uses.