Re: Vampiric

  • David McCann
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2008
      On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 12:38 +0200, Fredrik Ekman wrote:

      > Most characters are in TNR, true. However, there are several words that
      > look (on my screen) like they make use of special characters that do not
      > exist in TNR. For instance, some characters are replaced with squares, a
      > typical sign that non-supported characters are used. When I place the
      > cursor by one of those characters, the font selection tool in Word
      > (located in the formatting tool-bar) shows the name of the intended font.

      She's using some 1980s technology: providing IPA symbols by using a font
      that maps them onto the code-points 20-FF. If any characters fall in the
      range 7F-A0, no modern font will display anything. I'm not sure that SIL
      still have the fonts, though they do have a utility to convert documents
      using them into Unicode. And I complained about people using SAMPA!
    • ROGER MILLS
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 16, 2008
        David McCann wrote:

        >She's using some 1980s technology: providing IPA symbols by using a font
        >that maps them onto the code-points 20-FF. If any characters fall in the
        >range 7F-A0, no modern font will display anything. I'm not sure that SIL
        >still have the fonts, though they do have a utility to convert documents
        >using them into Unicode. And I complained about people using SAMPA!

        So that's the answer; these didn't display properly for me, neither on IE
        nor Firefox.

        I'm sure SIL still has Doulos and Gentium, presumably updated.