Re: Double minimal pairs

  • J R
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008
      On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 7:00 AM, Herman Miller <hmiller@...> wrote:

      > Mark J. Reed wrote:
      >
      >> "Don't let this happen to you. Order your Phonomatic(TM) Random
      >> Syllable Generator today, and keep your posteriori out of your a
      >> priori languages."
      >>

      > ;-) one method I've used successfully to avoid English bias (or
      > anti-English bias for that matter) is to manually create a bunch of words
      > without meanings, then randomly assign meanings to them. A few of the
      > Tirelat words were assigned this way, including "kiv" meaning "cave" and
      > "ret" meaning "reptile". I never would have chosen words so similar to
      > English, but that sort of coincidence isn't entirely unexpected.
      >
      > Tirelat has fewer randomly-assigned words than some of my other langs, but
      > some of them have become well-established, e.g.
      >
      > ċakni "rich, wealthy"
      > drambi "sand" (later expanded to include "(ground) pepper")
      > kezyl "plant" (n.)
      > kinež "cup"
      > kwëna "to hear"
      > luġi "holy, sacred"
      > maraat "basket"
      > miłwi "soon"
      > mizu "onion"
      > nirik "cheese"
      > nusu "silent"
      > sënt "bone"
      > šmaj "always"
      > šuuru "door"
      > tadru "much"
      > taka "there"
      > tipa "to enter"
      > turma "hammer"
      > vaasa "lid, cover"
      > xiłki "planet"
      > zaaxĕn "cellar"

      Do you accept all of the random pairings, or will you reject ones that
      strike you as really off? Personally, I haven't used any random methods, and
      wouldn't, except perhaps in very small doses (Mark's catchy advert
      notwithstanding!). It kind of takes the con- out of conlanging for me. If I
      want randomness, I'll look at a natlang :-)

      Josh Roth
    • Herman Miller
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008
        J R wrote:

        > Do you accept all of the random pairings, or will you reject ones that
        > strike you as really off? Personally, I haven't used any random methods, and
        > wouldn't, except perhaps in very small doses (Mark's catchy advert
        > notwithstanding!). It kind of takes the con- out of conlanging for me. If I
        > want randomness, I'll look at a natlang :-)
        >
        > Josh Roth

        With Tirelat I've accepted only a few of the random pairings. Some of
        the earlier languages, like Zharranh, kept a larger number of the random
        assignments.