Re: "Knock it off" or "Leave off"

  • Philip Newton
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2008
      On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 06:29, Scotto Hlad <scott.hlad@...> wrote:
      > I'd like to know how to convey this message to my cant in your conlangs and your L1, including regional type things.

      In colloquial German: "Ej, lass' mal stecken" or "Ej, lass' mal gut
      sein". ("leave it sticking [where it was; don't pull it out]" or "let
      it be good; leave it be [the way it was because that was already]
      good"). Or "Jetzt reicht's!" / "Jetzt reicht's aber langsam!" ("Now it
      is enough!" / "Now it's slowly be(com)ing enough!")

      Cheers,
      --
      Philip Newton <philip.newton@...>
    • ROGER MILLS
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2008
        Scotto Hlad wrote:

        >One of my cats, Daria, (the only one not spayed because I���ve run out of
        >money) is in oestrus. If you never been around a cat in this condition
        >consider yourself lucky.

        I had an unspayed female for a while; the first time she went into oestrus I
        kept her in, but it drove me crazy... I was talking on the phone one day
        with a friend in NYC, she yowled and he asked, Roger, is there a baby in
        your house? (knowing full well that was an utter impossibility). The 2nd
        and 3rd times, she got out, and produced two beautiful litters; then she got
        lost :-(((((

        >Anyway, I have found myslef just looking at her and saying, ���Give it a
        >rest������ or ���Knock it off������ or ���Leave off.���

        A losing battle, no?

        I've read that professional breeders stop an unwanted oestrus by stimulating
        the genital area with a glass rod or similar small object. Never tried
        that.......

        There was a TV show about a tiger park/sanctuary (in Australia I think,
        "Tiger Island"?) where the tigers are raised from infancy by the keepers and
        seemed halfway tame. They were walked around on leashes amongst the
        visitors! But if they started to play around too vigorously, the magic
        words were "Leave it!"

        >I���d like to know how to convey this message to my cat in your conlangs
        >and your L1, including regional type things.

        I'm surprised there's nothing at the moment in Kash, but using the simple
        negative imperative particle "yanda!" 'don't' would come close. One might
        also say y��ndati (+2nd pers.), y��ndapo ('just...') or maybe stronger
        y��ndaka, adding the imperative suffix.
      • Matthew
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2008
          Scotto Hlad wrote:
          > Anyway, I have found myslef just looking at her and saying, “Give it a
          > rest…” or “Knock it off…” or “Leave off.” It has me wondering what a
          > Pilovese person would say to the whole affair. Even in French, I’m not
          > sure what one would say beyond, “Arrêt” or “Assez” as neither of them
          > can convey the tone of being wearied or annoyed with the situation.
          >
          > I’d like to know how to convey this message to my cat in your conlangs
          > and your L1, including regional type things.
          I might say "quit it!" in English
          I might say "laisse la!" en français
          In Jorayn I would most likely say /
          /maro'-ovo'nov-ta-omomo je'niiath-o!
          end.of-that.action-2SG-PRS.IMP female.cat-VOC
          "stop that, queen!" /
          /
        • Mark J. Reed
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2008
            My L1 default is probably "Cut it out!" Or simply "Stop that!" with
            appropriately exasperated tone ("exasperated" is, of course, Pinyin
            tone 6. I don't know the CXS. ;-))

            Only literal takes on "stop it" in my conlangs so far.

            On 9/1/08, Matthew <ave.jor@...> wrote:
            > Scotto Hlad wrote:
            >> Anyway, I have found myslef just looking at her and saying, "Give it a
            >> rest…" or "Knock it off…" or "Leave off." It has me wondering what a
            >> Pilovese person would say to the whole affair. Even in French, I'm not
            >> sure what one would say beyond, "Arrêt" or "Assez" as neither of them
            >> can convey the tone of being wearied or annoyed with the situation.
            >>
            >> I'd like to know how to convey this message to my cat in your conlangs
            >> and your L1, including regional type things.
            > I might say "quit it!" in English
            > I might say "laisse la!" en français
            > In Jorayn I would most likely say /
            > /maro'-ovo'nov-ta-omomo je'niiath-o!
            > end.of-that.action-2SG-PRS.IMP female.cat-VOC
            > "stop that, queen!" /
            > /

            Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>
          • Jim Henry
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 2, 2008
              On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 12:29 AM, Scotto Hlad <scott.hlad@...> wrote:

              > Anyway, I have found myslef just looking at her and saying, "Give it a rest…" or "Knock it off…" or "Leave off." It has me wondering what a Pilovese person

              > I'd like to know how to convey this message to my cant in your conlangs and your L1, including regional type things.

              gzb:

              {!blâl-pôm ĝyl-ť-zô mwe.}
              frustration-ATD interrupt-2-V.ACT IMP

              {blâl-pôm} is an attitudinal, thus sentence-scope, adverb derived
              from the mindstate root {blâl} with the suffix for evidential /
              attitudinal / validational adverbs.

              In Esperanto, probably:

              Fermu la faŭkon!
              (Shut your trap!)

              "faŭko" is a word for "mouth" used with large animals, esp.
              predators; roughly English "maw".

              --
              Jim Henry
              http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2008
                On Tue, 02 Sep 2008, ROGER MILLS wrote:
                > Scotto Hlad wrote:
                > >One of my cats, Daria, (the only one not spayed because I’ve run out
                > > of money) is in oestrus. If you never been around a cat in this
                > > condition consider yourself lucky.
                >
                > I had an unspayed female for a while; the first time she went into
                > oestrus I kept her in, but it drove me crazy... I was talking on the
                > phone one day with a friend in NYC, she yowled and he asked, Roger,
                > is there a baby in your house? (knowing full well that was an utter
                > impossibility). The 2nd and 3rd times, she got out, and produced two
                > beautiful litters; then she got lost :-(((((
                >
                > >Anyway, I have found myslef just looking at her and saying, “Give it
                > > a rest…” or “Knock it off…” or “Leave off.”
                >
                > A losing battle, no?

                despite living with a 12-year old spayed tabby as southern spring is
                coming on she is getting decidedly 'bouncy', including sitting in my
                lap as I type.

                > >I’d like to know how to convey this message to my cat in your
                > > conlangs and your L1, including regional type things.
                >
                > I'm surprised there's nothing at the moment in Kash, but using the
                > simple negative imperative particle "yanda!" 'don't' would come
                > close. One might also say yándati (+2nd pers.), yándapo ('just...')
                > or maybe stronger yándaka, adding the imperative suffix.

                I thought that Brithenig was going to be similar with the bare negative
                command, Calf! or Calfath! Then I thought I better check a dictionary.
                Apparently Welsh has a phrase and I can adopt it into Brithenig:

                Dun ill myliwr per lle! lit. Give the best for it!

                So I am learning something. Conlanging broadens the mind :)

                --
                Andrew Smith -- hobbit@... --
                http://hobbit.griffler.co.nz/homepage.html

                "If you are gonna rebell you have to wear our uniform."
              • Mark J. Reed
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2008
                  On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 3:53 AM, andrew <hobbit@...> wrote:
                  > So I am learning something. Conlanging broadens the mind :)

                  qo'mey poSmoH Hol. :)

                  --
                  Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>
                • caeruleancentaur
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7, 2008
                    > <scott.hlad@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > I’d like to know how to convey this message to my cant in your
                    > conlangs and your L1, including regional type things.

                    Senjecas has an interjection 'angû' which can mean stop, cease, desist
                    in two senses:

                    1) stop doing what you are now doing
                    2) don't do what you are about to do.

                    The regular verb for stop, cease, desist, etc., is 'dûsa.'

                    Charlie

                    P.S. I have added Senjecas to CALS.
                  • Philip Newton
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
                      On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 06:29, Scotto Hlad <scott.hlad@...> wrote:
                      > Anyway, I have found myslef just looking at her and saying, "Give it a rest…" or "Knock it off…" or "Leave off." It has me wondering what a Pilovese person would say to the whole affair. Even in French, I'm not sure what one would say beyond, "Arrêt" or "Assez" as neither of them can convey the tone of being wearied or annoyed with the situation.
                      >
                      > I'd like to know how to convey this message to my cant in your conlangs and your L1, including regional type things.

                      I thought of something in German the other day -- it's fairly common
                      to hear "Aus!", especially to a dog. It basically means "Stop what
                      you're doing, immediately; that's enough!".

                      Cheers,
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
                        Philip Newton wrote:
                        >On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 06:29, Scotto Hlad <scott.hlad@...> wrote:
                        > > Anyway, I have found myslef just looking at her and saying, "Give it a
                        >rest���" or "Knock it off���" or "Leave off." It has me wondering what a
                        >Pilovese person would say to the whole affair. Even in French, I'm not sure
                        >what one would say beyond, "Arr���t" or "Assez" as neither of them can
                        >convey the tone of being wearied or annoyed with the situation.

                        >I thought of something in German the other day -- it's fairly common
                        >to hear "Aus!", especially to a dog. It basically means "Stop what
                        >you're doing, immediately; that's enough!".

                        I seem to recall hearing/seeing French "Laisse(z) ��a!"