Re: Media mortality (< facing your own mortality)

  • li_sasxsek@NUTTER.NET
    Message 1 of 81 , Jul 3, 2008
      > [mailto:CONLANG@...] On Behalf Of Tristan
      McLeay

      > But in any case, I fear we're going around in circles. My
      point is that
      > digital media only adds extra problems to data storage as
      compared with
      > print media. I will add no more than that.

      No doubt that there are issues with digital media, but there are
      also some great benefits. I say the benefits outweight the
      problems. Regardless, there's always the option to print out
      material that is digitally stored so you don't lose hardcopy
      ability.
    • ROGER MILLS
      Message 81 of 81 , Aug 9, 2008
        Jan van Steenbergen wrote:

        (snipping much that is relevant, and in line with my own beliefs)

        >It's a slightly different story with my music. Nothing of it has ever been
        >published, although
        >most of it has been performed. I haven't made any arrangements regarding
        >this; all I can
        >hope is that when I'm gone my family will take care of it and make sure
        >that it's being
        >performed every once in a while - IMO that's a much better way of
        >commemorating a person
        >than visiting a grave.
        >
        > >If you have web pages that you want to stay online after you can
        > >no longer pay the hosting bill, what options are available? The
        > >Wayback Machine at archive.org doesn't catch everything and it might
        > >not be around forever.
        >
        >I have to admit that this thought has occurred to me sometimes. Well, I
        >suppose my domain
        >at free.fr will stay around for a while. But nothing lasts forever, and
        >there will be a day when
        >it's ultimately gone. As for all my Wenedyk/RTC stuff, I would certainly
        >hope someone else
        >would make sure my work stays around for another while.
        >
        >What worries me more is actually this: how is the world going to find out
        >that I'm dead?

        I plan to leave instructions with a friend, to use my computer and links to
        send out notices to this list and my various alumni orgs. At my age it could
        happen any time, heavens forfend!! My great-grandfather lived to 99, I'd
        like to do so too, if only to see whether the world can avoid the FUBAR
        state that it seems to be headed for... if not, one might want to exit
        sooner.

        >All that is pure theory, of course, because I can't think of a publishing
        >house that would be
        >waiting for my stuff to publish it!

        That's probably the case with much of my research in Indonesian languages; I
        have a lot that isnt organized enough to warrant publishing, but it might
        give some future grad student a few ideas, or save a lot of scut work
        (annotated dictionaries in Xerox copies, various semi-finished articles).
        These too I think could be forwarded to a colleague, who can then save or
        delete as he/she sees fit.

        > >Is it arrogant to want some of your ideas to live on after you die?
        >
        >Not at all! For me, it's crucial. After I'm dead, all that stays of me are
        >two things: the
        >memories people have about me, and my work. The latter would be my very
        >tiny imprint in
        >world history - one way to achieve immortality.

        As I recall, there's a prayer in Jewish liturgy (at least in the Engl.
        version I've heard) that "they are not gone, they live on in the hearts and
        minds of those who loved them". As for one's work, you are entirely correct.
        Some of my (mercenary) relatives don't see the point of my having written
        a PhD diss. that maybe 6 people in the entire world have read (it always
        surprises me when I see it cited, it was never published). And who knows, in
        50 years, someone may utterly refute everything I wrote!! Whenever I mention
        trying to get something published in a journal, they ask, how much will you
        get paid? AS IF, haha. How about 10 off-prints, big deal. The point for me
        is, it's enough to have contributed to the world's body of knowledge. I do
        feel that conlanging, too, is a contribution of sorts, even if most of it
        flowers in obscurity.

        I often think of the young Dutch linguist S. J. Esser, who did so much
        excellent work in Celebes languages in the 1930s. Like many, he was interned
        in a concentration camp by the Japanese, and died there in the 1940s, he may
        have been 40 at the most. His work still stands and is greatly respected,
        but he could have done so much more.....

        One thinks too of Olivier Messiaen, who composed that magnificent "Quartet
        for the End of Time" while interned during WW II. He at least survived, as
        does the work.