Re: Going NOMAIL: Honeymoon

  • Carsten Becker
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2008
      Matahaniya ang Carl Banks <conlang@...>:

      > That must have been an interesting ceremony.
      >
      > "Do you, David Peterson, take this woman to be your
      > lawfully wedded wife?"
      >
      > "Sarfa koglumen saveth, morsai."

      Haha :-)

      Sialeya nay banas-ikan va samanyam vana!
      Congratulations and all the best to the both of you!

      Regards
      Carsten

      --
      Tingraena, 1' Sintung 2317 ya 18:47:03 pd
      Tuesday, July 1, 2008 at 07:47:59 am
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1 2:37 AM
        Den 1. jul. 2008 kl. 02.52 skreiv David J. Peterson:

        > I just got married yesterday, and we're going on our
        > honeymoon for a week, so I'm going no-mail.

        Teltat uriandan elni bird tunuz e komin mik esiran Davidai e sa kyne!
        (From all the Urianians a pleasant journey and great happiness is
        wished for David and his wife!)

        Buntesauke sos Davidai gaepemaini gumbamaini ais jaga egomi erawemi
        iriu anjinje!
        (All the people of Bunty wish David and his lovely wife a pleasant
        journey and great happiness!)

        LEF
      • Henrik Theiling
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1 3:54 AM
          Hi!

          David J. Peterson writes:
          > I just got married yesterday, and we're going on our
          > honeymoon for a week, so I'm going no-mail.

          Congratulations! It is a great experience, isn't it? :-)

          > I think the web and everything else we've got going
          > is bring us closer to a time where nothing will be lost,
          > unless something truly catastrophic happens.

          Well, I fear that the move from mailing lists to fora was a bit
          dangerous for that reason: information vanishes, because fora often
          have no archives and even erase older posts (why?) We want good
          archives, I think, and few fora provide it today, and some are not
          even indexed in search engines. Of course, Conlang-L suffered some
          loss, too. But the history of the ZBB is simply gone, is it not? Or
          eBay! I want an archive of all stuff ever sold there! :-)

          Another thing I fear is that when there will be even more information,
          it becomes even more hard to search. I often find myself searching
          for a topic that cannot easily be 'buzzwordized' for a search engine
          to find good results.

          For example when I search for a problem with my computer. Try
          searching for 'linux hard disk slow' or something like that.
          Completely futile. It often seems like I am the only person who has
          that bug, because I either get 1 million irrelevant hits (of course, I
          did not check all manually) or none at all or exclusively commercial
          sites wanting to sell be X when I had a problem with X. Lately, it
          was even hard to find out whether some piece of hardware was supported
          by linux drivers. That should be really trivial to find, but it was
          not at all trivial: in compatibility lists, about 99% of all hardware
          is missing, even very common hardware. The current situation is just
          awful.

          So we need much better search engines, otherwise the information will
          be lost in the infinity of informaton, which is as bad as being
          totally gone. I have no idea how to improve search engines, actually,
          because they'd need AI to really understand what I want. AI has not
          been fully functional so far, so maybe only humans can index
          information properly for humans to find, which means that a lot of
          information will be lost anyway, because there are no resources for
          indexing it.

          **Henrik
        • Jim Henry
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1 6:32 AM
            On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 8:52 PM, David J. Peterson <dedalvs@...> wrote:

            > I just got married yesterday, and we're going on our
            > honeymoon for a week, so I'm going no-mail.

            *ť-ĉu o huw pe ₣urŋ pen gě'dĭm-zla hǒl il.
            All happiness and blessedness to both of you, through
            your whole life!

            Congratulations!

            > it does, so what? You can't do anything about it. But
            > if something you wrote or created can make one
            > person's life in the whole history of human existence
            > a little brighter, I say it's worthwhile.

            I think David Lindsay said something like this about
            his _A Voyage to Arcturus_; "It will never be popular,
            but as long as our civilization lasts at least one person
            a year will read it." In a way that seems hubristic --
            predicting that your book will last as long as our
            civilization? -- but so far he's underestimated the
            number of his readers by a good deal... (I'm quoting
            from memory, from I'm not sure what source.)

            --
            Jim Henry
            http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/conlang/fluency-survey.html
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1 10:00 AM
              Henrik Theiling wrote:

              > David J. Peterson writes:
              >> I just got married yesterday, and we're going on our
              >> honeymoon for a week, so I'm going no-mail.
              >
              > Congratulations! It is a great experience, isn't it? :-)

              Which one? Getting married, going on a
              honeymoon, or going no-mail? :-)

              --Ph. D.
            • Donald Boozer
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2 5:52 AM
                Let me add my voice to the chorus of "Congratulations!"
                I had the chance to meet the happy couple during LCC2 last summer, and David was downright giddy to introduce Erin as his "fiancée." I wish both of them many, many happy years together.
                In the Petersonian Spelling System: Coangrajuwleiyshinz! (That's the best I could do ;-))

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2 7:33 AM
                  Hallo!

                  On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 17:52:34 -0700, David J. Peterson wrote:

                  > Hey all,
                  >
                  > I just got married yesterday, and we're going on our
                  > honeymoon for a week, so I'm going no-mail.

                  Congratulations!

                  ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
                • Sai Emrys
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2 11:14 AM
                    Re-congratulations, of course.

                    Enjoy your time off wallowing in NRE. ;-)

                    - Sai
                  • li_sasxsek@NUTTER.NET
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 2 3:40 PM
                      > [mailto:CONLANG@...] On Behalf Of Donald Boozer

                      > In the Petersonian Spelling System: Coangrajuwleiyshinz!

                      In Li?glis: Kö?gräs [ kVNgr{s ]
                    • Damátir Ando
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 4 11:48 PM
                        This is late, but congratulations!