Re: OT hypercube (was: Con-other)

  • Eugene Oh
    Message 1 of 56 , Jun 1, 2008
      On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Eric Christopherson <rakko@...>
      wrote:

      > On May 31, 2008, at 10:23 PM, Eugene Oh wrote:
      >
      > I was thinking so too, but then 3D objects bump into one another because
      >> they have a side to bump with, i.e. when cubes bump, they do so using
      >> their
      >> "z-axis". But in a 2D world without conception of volume, might they
      >> simply
      >> intersect? And if they do, and they happened to have colours, what would
      >> the
      >> intersection appear like? A blend of the two colours?
      >> Eugene
      >>

      > I think that all depends on the physics of that universe.

      I guess that would imply an incomplete definition in our universe of what it
      means to be 2D etc.
    • Alex Fink
      Message 56 of 56 , Jun 2, 2008
        On Sat, 31 May 2008 22:50:26 +0800, Eugene Oh <un.doing@...> wrote:

        >How about words like "polymorphism", "obstructionism" etc. that do not go
        >anywhere near faith/ideology? That was what I considered when I decided
        >"-lios" was inadequate.
        >Lars' borrowing is understandable and readily comprehensible given the
        >nature of Urianian.

        Why do you need an affix that replicates every sense of Standard Average
        European "-ism"? For a lang that's not supposed to have any influence from
        the SAE langs I'd find that an unlikely coincidence (of course, for a lang
        that does have such influence, like Urianian, it's entirely to be expected).
        I'd suggest using _-lios_ for faith and ideology and what have you and
        different nominalisers for "polymorphism" and "obstructionism", and for that
        matter things like "racism".

        Alex