NSM and Glossotechnia

  • Jim Henry
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2008
      An idea has occurred to me for a possible variation or refinement of
      Glossotechnia.
      In addition to the main deck and the translation challenge deck, I
      might add a deck
      containing the 60-odd words of the Natural Semantic Metalanguage. Each turn
      a player would coin one word on their own initiative, using charades,
      drawings, etc
      to define it, and then would draw the top card from the NSM deck and coin a word
      for that concept as well.

      I'm not sure if I would want to include the entire NSM vocabulary, or
      just a subset
      of those words that are harder than average to define with charades
      and pictures.
      Or I might add those cards to the main deck; when you get one of those cards
      in your hand, you can play it to coin a word for that concept without having to
      go through charades etc.

      With a separate NSM deck from which a word is drawn every turn, the
      vocabulary of
      the language would grow about twice as fast, and players might sooner be able
      to start using words of the game-language to define their new words.

      --
      Jim Henry
      http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2008
        In a message dated 2/12/2008 10:42:58 AM Central Standard Time,
        jimhenry1973@... writes:

        > An idea has occurred to me for a possible variation or refinement of
        > Glossotechnia.
        > In addition to the main deck and the translation challenge deck, I
        > might add a deck
        > containing the 60-odd words of the Natural Semantic Metalanguage. Each turn
        > a player would coin one word on their own initiative, using charades,
        > drawings, etc
        > to define it, and then would draw the top card from the NSM deck and coin a
        > word
        > for that concept as well.
        >
        > I'm not sure if I would want to include the entire NSM vocabulary, or
        > just a subset
        > of those words that are harder than average to define with charades
        > and pictures.
        > Or I might add those cards to the main deck; when you get one of those cards
        > in your hand, you can play it to coin a word for that concept without having
        > go through charades etc.
        >
        > With a separate NSM deck from which a word is drawn every turn, the
        > vocabulary of
        > the language would grow about twice as fast, and players might sooner be able
        > to start using words of the game-language to define their new words.
        >
        > --
        > Jim Henry
        > http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry

        This sounds like a really good idea to me.

        stevo </HTML>
      • Matthew Haupt
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2008
          I think it could be a good alternative form of play, where the goal is to
          actually develop a lot of vocabulary, but I think the first model of play,
          where everyone is at first cooperatively developing vocab for the group
          challenge, then competitively developing vocab for their challenge, is perfect!
        • Jim Henry
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2008
            On Feb 13, 2008 1:18 PM, Matthew Haupt <filmfxman@...> wrote:
            > I think it could be a good alternative form of play, where the goal is to
            > actually develop a lot of vocabulary, but I think the first model of play,
            > where everyone is at first cooperatively developing vocab for the group
            > challenge, then competitively developing vocab for their challenge, is perfect!

            Perhaps it would combine well with the "long form"
            (which I haven't yet played with anyone), where another
            group translation challenge is drawn after the first
            one is translated, and each player draws another pair
            of challenge cards every time they translate their previous
            sentence, until the game is ended by external circumstances.

            I've had a hard time making sets of translation challenge
            sentences that are evenly balanced -- all of them about
            equally difficult to coin all the words for. I've thought
            about marking each challenge card with a number of
            points, and players earn so many points each time they
            translate a challenge sentence. (Probably one point for
            each concrete word that's easy to charade or draw,
            two points for each abstract word?)

            --
            Jim Henry
            http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/review/log.htm