Re: What happened to the CSUR? (< TECH: Unicode Private Use Area)

  • Andreas Johansson
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
      Quoting "Mark J. Reed" <markjreed@...>:

      > Philip Newton:
      > > CSUR is (obviously to me) not a good choice for every
      > > little conscript someone comes up with, since it'd fill up pretty
      > > quickly if every neography out there were registered.
      >
      > Not that quickly, I'm thinking. The PUA has room for over 130,000
      > characters. Say a typical neography has 50 characters, almost double
      > the size of the Latin alphabet, that's room for over 2500 scripts..

      I can't resist pointing out that the Latin alphabet is larger than 50 chars,
      since Unicode treats capitals and small letters as distinct.

      An actual concern might be non-little conscripts - wouldn't be surprised if
      someone's invented their own logographic script with thousands of characters.

      Andreas
    • MorphemeAddict@WMCONNECT.COM
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
        In a message dated 2/2/2008 11:52:41 AM Central Standard Time, andjo@...
        writes:

        > An actual concern might be non-little conscripts - wouldn't be surprised if
        > someone's invented their own logographic script with thousands of characters.
        >
        > Andreas

        I made one once for Klingon, but it was more like Hangul than like Hanzi.

        stevo </HTML>
      • Rebecca Bettencourt
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
          On Feb 7, 2008 5:44 AM, <li_sasxsek@...> wrote:
          > I only wish I knew how to get in touch with them. I e-mailed
          > them months ago with the Deini script (ED00-ED1F) but apparently
          > nobody's bothing to maintain the site any more.
          > http://www.nutter.net/dana/language/deini_script.pdf

          I'd like to know how to get in touch with them too. I've been trying
          to get these in there:
          http://www.kreativekorp.com/mikiana/script.shtml
          http://www.kreativekorp.com/mikiana/glaitha-a.html
          http://www.kreativekorp.com/mikiana/glaitha-b.html

          The site says it was last updated on 2006-05-28. Where are the people
          in charge of it?

          --
          Hasta la pasta,
          Rebecca Bettencourt.

          "I could counter with the fact that a disproportionate number of TG
          women I know are computer programmers. ::grin:: In fact, there's a
          joke going around that says exposure to computer screens causes
          transsexuality." -- Kate Bornstein
        • David J. Peterson
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
            Thanks everyone for the extremely informative and useful
            replies you gave! This is exactly the information I was looking
            for.

            Mark:
            <<
            It in no way keeps other groups of
            people (or differently-minded conlangers) from using it differently.
            But its use facilitates the use of conlang text on places like
            FrathWiki that would otherwise have to house large image collections
            to display it all.

            As FrathWiki viewers, then, we would have to download a bunch
            of fonts. Maybe someone could create a FrathWiki font that included
            all the conlang unicode fonts...?

            Andreas:
            <<
            An actual concern might be non-little conscripts - wouldn't be
            surprised if
            someone's invented their own logographic script with thousands of
            characters.

            Indeed. I've created a dynamic* font for Kamakawi that has over
            400 glyphs so far (it's not done yet).

            * I got the term "dynamic" regarding writing systems from
            Trent Pehrson. I just searched for his site to check to see if I'd
            gotten the term right, but it looks as if his site is down! Anyone
            have any contact with him? If he took his site down, that would
            be an incredible loss for the conlanging community as a whole.

            -David

            -Jim Morrison

            http://dedalvs.free.fr/
          • li_sasxsek@NUTTER.NET
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 3, 2008
              > [mailto:CONLANG@...] On Behalf Of Rebecca
              Bettencourt

              > On Feb 7, 2008 5:44 AM, <li_sasxsek@...> wrote:
              > > I only wish I knew how to get in touch with them. I
              e-mailed
              > > them months ago with the Deini script (ED00-ED1F) but
              apparently
              > > nobody's bothing to maintain the site any more.
              > > http://www.nutter.net/dana/language/deini_script.pdf
              >
              > I'd like to know how to get in touch with them too. I've been
              trying
              > to get these in there:
              > http://www.kreativekorp.com/mikiana/script.shtml
              > http://www.kreativekorp.com/mikiana/glaitha-a.html
              > http://www.kreativekorp.com/mikiana/glaitha-b.html
              >
              > The site says it was last updated on 2006-05-28. Where are the
              people
              > in charge of it?

              My e-mails to them have gone unanswered so I'm certainly not the
              one to say. If anyone our there knows of a way to contact
              someone at Evertype about the CSUR, please let us know.