Re: Latin help

  • MorphemeAddict@WMCONNECT.COM
    Message 1 of 62 , Sep 5, 2007
      In a message dated 9/5/2007 2:01:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
      ray@... writes:

      > However, we are more likely to be thinking, in a neo-Latin version of an
      > English song, of stressed and unstressed syllables. Again the two
      > versions match:
      > and SO say ALL of US
      > num QUIS ilLUD neGAT
      >
      > OK - it's not the stress of Latin prose, but it is certainly a possible
      > stress pattern to be thrown up by the Latin heavy & light syllable verse
      > patterning.

      Okay, if "illud" and "negat" are normally stressed on the final syllable,
      then I concede your point.

      stevo </HTML>
      Message 62 of 62 , Sep 9, 2007
        ROGER MILLS wrote:
        > Mark J. Reed wrote:
        >
        >> On 9/8/07, caeruleancentaur <caeruleancentaur@...> wrote:
        >> > I think the dictionaries will need to modify their definitions. I
        >> > wonder how long picks (plectrums) have been in use.
        >>
        >> At least as long as there have been harpsichords, since that is how
        >> the strings in that instrument are sounded.
        >>
        > And the first harpsichord builder must have got the idea from
        > somewhere...? Lute/guitar techniques?

        They were used among the ancient Greeks for striking the strings on a lyre.

        > Their plectra were originally
        > goose quills as I recall (plastic now, harrumph)

        I believe this was so, but I'm not sure what the ancient plectrums were
        made from (but not from plastic :)

        ray@...
        Nid rhy hen neb i ddysgu.
        There's none too old to learn.