Latin help

  • Adam Walker
    Message 1 of 62 , Sep 1, 2007
      Is the sentence "Cantat is in hoc modo," correct or
      does it, in fact, contain a typo?

      Adam

      Ed ñavisud in junu suñu pera nun regrediri ad ul Erodu, regrediruns ad il sustrus provinchi peu'l via aurra.

      Machu 2:12
      Message 62 of 62 , Sep 9, 2007
        ROGER MILLS wrote:
        > Mark J. Reed wrote:
        >
        >> On 9/8/07, caeruleancentaur <caeruleancentaur@...> wrote:
        >> > I think the dictionaries will need to modify their definitions. I
        >> > wonder how long picks (plectrums) have been in use.
        >>
        >> At least as long as there have been harpsichords, since that is how
        >> the strings in that instrument are sounded.
        >>
        > And the first harpsichord builder must have got the idea from
        > somewhere...? Lute/guitar techniques?

        They were used among the ancient Greeks for striking the strings on a lyre.

        > Their plectra were originally
        > goose quills as I recall (plastic now, harrumph)

        I believe this was so, but I'm not sure what the ancient plectrums were
        made from (but not from plastic :)

        ray@...
        Nid rhy hen neb i ddysgu.
        There's none too old to learn.