TECH: Listserv, re-logins, & drafts (was: A few questions about...)

  • John Vertical
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
      Whew, it worked this time.

      So, everyone who's accessing the list via the web interface has probably
      encountered Listserv's habit of silently logging you off in the middle of writing
      a long reply, after which haplessly clicking on "send" will not send anything,
      but rather prompt to re-login; and doing that, then, depending on the browser,
      might redirect you back to the "post reply" page, or leave you stuck on a blank
      page.

      But! - and here's where this gets interesting - the blank (redirect) page's
      sorce turns out to include your message, even in the case that it didn't get re-
      added to the reply field when you are redirected! Most symbols will be mangled
      into URL-compatible entities (colon = "%3A" etc.) but a few rounds of
      serch&replace will fix that.

      This should come handy in the future. I kno it will for me, at least.

      John Vertical
    • robert wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
        On Thursday 02 August 2007, John Vertical (John Vertical
        <johnvertical@...>) wrote:
        > But! - and here's where this gets interesting - the blank (redirect) page's
        > sorce turns out to include your message, even in the case that it didn't
        > get re- added to the reply field when you are redirected! Most symbols will
        > be mangled into URL-compatible entities (colon = "%3A" etc.) but a few
        > rounds of serch&replace will fix that.

        or you could just do what i do whenever i submit anything longer than 2 or 3
        on the web... just type it in your text editor of choice and then just copy
        and past it into the form on the web page. then if something goes wrong
        submitting it, all you have to do is copy and paste again, instead of having
        to view the source of a page and then do search and replace.
      • John Vertical
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007
          On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 14:59:44 -0400, robert wilson wrote:

          >or you could just do what i do whenever i submit anything longer than 2 or 3
          >on the web... just type it in your text editor of choice and then just copy
          >and past it into the form on the web page. then if something goes wrong
          >submitting it, all you have to do is copy and paste again, instead of having
          >to view the source of a page and then do search and replace.

          I should have mentioned that I do, too, normally use back-up methods like
          this, or the plain ol' clipboard. The salvage trick was intended as more of an
          emergency mesure...

          John Vertical