LCC2 is almost here - new location, webcast, and requests for help

  • Sai Emrys
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2007
      The Second Language Creation Conference is just a week away! Want to
      attend? Want to help? Contact Sai Emrys at conlangs@..., or
      check out the newly updated LCC website:

      http://conlangs.berkeley.edu/

      Specifically, we would like to announce the following:

      - The conference site moved as of a month ago, due to building
      managers' concerns about security and earthquake renovation. The new
      location is at 150 University Hall, at the corner of Oxford St. &
      Addison St., on the west ("down") side of the UC Berkeley campus, just
      a couple blocks away from Berkeley BART.

      - This year, the LCC will be broadcast LIVE over the web at
      http://conlangs.berkeley.edu/live.php . Can't attend, but would
      really like to? Attend virtually--it's virtually as good! You'll need
      Java (or your own IRC client, e.g. mIRC, XChat, Trillian) and Flash
      (or your own mp3/ogg streaming audio player, e.g. Winamp, VLC, etc).
      You will be able to hear the talks as they happen, and pass questions
      on to be asked for you by the moderator!

      - In case you can come, come! The conference is just a week away, and
      we're looking forward to a great turnout. If you'd like to come, but
      don't know if you can arrange travel, get in touch with us; we may
      know someone coming from your area who'd be willing to carpool. If
      you'll be attending LSA07, you can attend both and not even miss the
      Labov lecture!

      If you haven't yet, even if you intend to pay at the door, please
      register at http://lcc.questionform.com/public/LCC2-Timing .

      And finally, if you'd like to come but even $35 registration (which
      includes lunch, drinks, & snacks on both days) is too much for you,
      just let us know; we will not refuse anyone for lack of funds.

      - If you're attending the LCC, and you're able and interested to help
      us set up, we will gladly accept. Just show up at 8 a.m. sharp and
      help set up seats, tables, signage, audio & computer equipment,
      registration, etc. We will also need a couple people to get lunch from
      a few blocks away. (Note: If you're good with audio / technical
      equipment and are able to help, let us know ASAP.)

      - Donations: To help support this and future LCCs, we're looking for
      donations. Monetary donations are always appreciated, but we're also
      looking for auction items and items to give away as incentives for
      monetary donations. For example:

      * Have any old linguistics textbooks laying around you don't need?
      Language grammars? Old journals? If you're done with them, why not
      donate them? It'll help out the LCC, and benefit other conlangers
      whose libraries are less voluminous.

      * Do you have a unique script in your language? Are you able to make
      jewelry/t-shirts? Why not use those skills, and donate something
      creative to the LCC? Who knows, maybe one day you'll see a conlanger
      on the street wearing a t-shirt that says "I love languages" in your
      conlang!

      * Are you gifted in the visual arts or craftwork? Make us something!

      All donations are tax-deductible at their fair market value; if you
      want to receive the paperwork for this, just let us know.

      LCC2 is just about here, and we look forward to seeing all of you.

      Fiat lingua!

      David Peterson
      LCS Director
      peterson.dj@...
    • Jeffrey Jones
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2007
        Is there still going to be a Friday afternoon tour? If so, where and when do we
        meet?
      • David J. Peterson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2007
          On Jul 2, 2007, at 1∞14 AM, Jeffrey Jones wrote:
          > Is there still going to be a Friday afternoon tour? If so, where
          > and when do we
          > meet?

          Yes, there is. It's at 1:30 p.m. at Sather Gate, which is right in
          between Dwinelle Hall and Sproul Plaza (which itself is just
          north of the intersection of Telegraph and Bancroft). Afterwards
          there will be a dinner off campus. David Salo will be arriving
          about 3:40 p.m. This info can be found here:

          http://conlangs.berkeley.edu/schedule.php

          And here's a map of the Berkeley campus:

          http://www.berkeley.edu/map/maps/large_map.html

          If at any point in time you get lost, or need help getting around,
          you can ping me for my cell #, and I'll help you out (or Sai).

          -David

          -Jim Morrison

          http://dedalvs.free.fr/