Re: Making modifiers out of nouns

  • Eugene Oh
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2007
      Hi!

      It seems as though most on the list prefer "adjectivaliser", which, as
      Carsten pointed out, parallels "nominaliser", "verbaliser" and
      "adverbialiser". He also suggested I check sil.org for its glossary,
      but alas, it seems as though even SIL hasn't a standard term for it.
      For the sake of consistency, then I shall adopt "adjectivaliser".

      And admittedly the "-nén" suffix (substituted the acute for the macron
      for technical issues) makes modifiers, not merely adjectives, as I was
      reminded by someone's remark (I can't remember who at the moment).

      Thanks for all your replies!

      Eugene

    • MorphemeAddict@WMCONNECT.COM
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2007
        In a message dated 4/30/2007 11:00:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
        ray@... writes:

        > Nope - it counts syllables. But Portuguese uses all three accents, i.e.
        > acute, grave and circumflex, as they mark vowel quality as well as
        > stress - a somewhat more complicated system than Spanish.
        >
        > But the Portuguese for "thanks" is surely _obrigado_, isn't it?
        >
        > On quick look in online Portuguese dictionaries, I haven't discovered
        > *grácias. But there is there is _graças a_ "thanks to", but that has no
        > accent AFAIK.

        I was pretty sure that "gracias" is not the Portuguese word for 'thank you',
        but treated it as if it were, as an example.

        stevo </HTML>
      • Carsten Becker
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2007
          Hi,

          Matahaniya ang Eugene Oh <un.doing@...>:

          > It seems as though most on the list prefer
          > "adjectivaliser", which, as Carsten pointed out,

          In fact I've just now realized that my mail went to you privately ...
          it *should* have gone to the list instead. Anyway, this is my fault,
          not Gmail's, as I forgot to change the address line to the list's
          address.

          Carsten

          --
          "Besonvenyonangang ayena nudeng inunsegasyéna."
          -- Segakáryo Litayarim

          Tenena, Yangtim 19, 2316 ya 02:35:13 pd
          Thursday, May 3, 2007 at 05:00:07 pm