Kamakawi Adjectives and Adverbs

  • David J. Peterson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2007
      I added a page on adjectives and adverbs in Kamakawi--a what
      turns out to be surprisingly non-trivial subject. I rarely post
      about pages I add to my site, but I thought I'd post about this
      one to satiate Jeff's need for list traffic. :)

      http://dedalvs.free.fr/kamakawi/adjectives.html

      -David

      -Jim Morrison

      http://dedalvs.free.fr/
    • Jeffrey Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2007
        On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:23:24 -0700, David J. Peterson <dedalvs@...>
        wrote:

        >I added a page on adjectives and adverbs in Kamakawi--a what
        >turns out to be surprisingly non-trivial subject. I rarely post
        >about pages I add to my site, but I thought I'd post about this
        >one to satiate Jeff's need for list traffic. :)
        >
        >http://dedalvs.free.fr/kamakawi/adjectives.html

        Thanks :) It looks like you covered everything. If I were in the inverse relay,
        Kamakawi would be one of my choices.

        Jeff

        >-David
        *********
        >"A male love inevivi i'ala'i oku i ue pokulu'ume o heki a."
        >"No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn."
        >
        >-Jim Morrison
        >
        >http://dedalvs.free.fr/
      • Larry Sulky
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2007
          David, I noted that many adverbs are simply adjectives placed at the
          end of the sentence. But also that adjectives follow the words they
          modify. So does

          "Ka kama ei ie puka tiki"

          mean

          "I painted the door red."

          or

          "I painted the red door."

          ?

          --larry
        • David J. Peterson
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2007
            Larry wrote:
            <<
            "Ka kama ei ie puka tiki"

            mean

            "I painted the door red."

            or

            "I painted the red door."

            ?

            It's ambiguous. :) I've often thought about intonation, and if
            that would differentiate the two... I think it might, in that the
            stress on ['pu.ka] would be more pronounced in the N-ADV
            version than the N-ADJ version. I haven't given much thought
            to transcribing the way I speak it, though, so this could be an
            artefact of my saying it right now with the idea in mind.

            Of course, it's easy enough to remedy this:

            Tiki, ka kama ei ie puka.
            (Adverbial interpretation is the only possible interpretation.)

            Or...

            Ka kama'u puka ti'i tiki.
            /TNS paint-PASS. door by-me red/
            "The door was painted red by me."