Re: What would you want to hear Thomas Payne (author of Describing Morphosyntax)

  • Donald Boozer
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
      I would have to agree with some of the other comments.
      The "nuts and bolts" type items are available
      elsewhere. Heck, I even bought the man's book for that
      reason! What I would like to hear from a true field
      linguist is how it all works: how do you get people to
      talk to you, what are the first things you typically
      find out, what takes the longest, how involved with
      the native speakers do you get, how close are you
      allowed to get, etc. From a conlanger's viewpoint,
      this would be invaluable since one could take this
      information and run with it. We have a tendency to be
      very methodical from a construction standpoint (first,
      phonemes; next, morphology, now I'll work on
      verbs.....). If we started like we were "discovering"
      a new language instead of "inventing" one, that might
      go a long way to helping us be both exotic and
      naturalistic.
      This would be a true coup, Sai, if you could get him
      for a future LCC. As it is, I am really looking
      forward to meetind David Salo!

      http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
    • Sai Emrys
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
        On 4/1/07, Donald Boozer <donaldboozer@...> wrote:
        > If we started like we were "discovering"
        > a new language instead of "inventing" one, that might
        > go a long way to helping us be both exotic and
        > naturalistic.

        The one difficulty that comes to mind with this approach is that in
        real field linguistics you have a competent native. In conlanging you
        have yourself, and when you answer things by default you're likely to
        be calquing your L1. (We've all been there done that ya? :-P) So it
        gets kinda complicated 'cause you probably do need to do some sort of
        back-and-forth of a 'field linguist' approach and the now-traditional
        phonology-orthography-morphology-syntax buildup. I'd encourage more
        discussion on this though, 'cause it's an interesting topic.

        We definitely take it all into consideration. I'm pretty sure from
        what I've seen so far that no matter what gets settled on, LCC3 should
        be pretty good. (And LCC2 too, obviously! Everyone register and come
        out! Hint hint.)

        > This would be a true coup, Sai, if you could get him
        > for a future LCC. As it is, I am really looking
        > forward to meetind David Salo!

        Yeah, we're pretty excited at both prospects. :-) But for now, re
        Payne, I think it's best to simply leave it at what I said in the OP.
        I assure you that if we have more certain plans than they'll get
        announced. ;-)

        I'm glad that we're starting to plan for LCC3 this early though and
        get positive responses. Definite improvement & longer-term view in how
        things are running, which should make for better (and less stressfully
        organized ^^) conferences in the future. Repetition *does* make things
        easier.

        Payne's definitely not the only very interesting person in the lineup,
        just one who has a rather broad range and is relatively well known
        within the community for his book, which is why I wanted to gather
        suggestions.

        Like I said, it should be very neat. And hopefully Rochester - with
        warning a year in advance - will be easier for our European friends to
        come to.

        - Sai