Re: What would you want to hear Thomas Payne (author of Describing Morphosyntax) speak about?

  • Chad Oliver
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2007
      Yea, I agree. A talk about his experiences in the field (describing
      languages, not how they had to cut through a tree when it fell over the road
      etc.) would be wonderful. It would also provide a nice 'easy listening'
      session, as a break from hearing about hard-linguistics topics.
    • Jeffrey Jones
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
        On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:04:25 -0700, Sai Emrys <sai@...> wrote:

        >This is way too early to be sure of anything yet, but he is a
        >plausible speaker for a future LCC.
        >
        >I'd just like to gather some suggestions from y'all for things you'd
        >like to hear him talk about.
        >
        >See http://www.sil.org/sil/roster/payne_thomas.htm and
        >http://www.uoregon.edu/~tpayne/ for his profile & research.
        >
        >FWIW, he is not himself a conlanger, and would most likely prefer to
        >talk about something that's closer to 'straight' linguistics.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >- Sai

        His list of papers presented and list of interests provide a fair variety of topics.
        I'd like to hear something that goes beyond the book, but can still be followed
        by non-linguists.

        Jeff
      • Eldin Raigmore
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
          On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 14:53:14 -0400, Jeffrey Jones
          <jsjonesmiami@...> wrote:
          >I'd like to hear something that goes beyond the book, but can still be followed
          >by non-linguists.

          Yes. I second what Jeffrey says.