Re: minimal language

  • Philip Newton
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2 12:35 AM
      On 3/2/07, MorphemeAddict@... <MorphemeAddict@...> wrote:
      > A recent topic on this list (or was it the archive?) was minimal languages,
      > i.e., languages with only 20 or so words.

      For even more ambiguity than toki pona! Yay!

      And even less redundancy, I suppose, than SpeedWords.

      Cheers,
      --
      Philip Newton <philip.newton@...>
    • MorphemeAddict@WMCONNECT.COM
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2 5:54 AM
        In a message dated 3/2/2007 2:40:22 AM Central Standard Time,
        philip.newton@... writes:

        > For even more ambiguity than toki pona! Yay!
        >
        > And even less redundancy, I suppose, than SpeedWords.

        SpeedWords is new to me. Thanks for the ref.

        stevo
      • Jim Henry
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2 6:19 AM
          On 3/1/07, MorphemeAddict@... <MorphemeAddict@...> wrote:
          > A recent topic on this list (or was it the archive?) was minimal languages,
          > i.e., languages with only 20 or so words. This many words could be written
          > simply as the 26 unadorned letters of the alphabet. Then texts would be streams
          > of letters, possibly separated by spaces used as punctuation.

          It wasn't so recent -- it was June 1999:

          http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9906c&L=conlang&F=&S=&P=21546

          Several of us came up with languages of 20 or so words, including
          Boudewijn Rempt,
          Sally Caves, Paul Bennett and me.

          --
          Jim Henry
          http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/conlang.htm
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2 7:03 AM
            In a message dated 3/2/2007 8:26:24 AM Central Standard Time,
            jimhenry1973@... writes:

            > > A recent topic on this list (or was it the archive?) was minimal
            > languages,
            > > i.e., languages with only 20 or so words. This many words could be written
            > > simply as the 26 unadorned letters of the alphabet. Then texts would be
            > streams
            > > of letters, possibly separated by spaces used as punctuation.
            >
            > It wasn't so recent -- it was June 1999:

            I did mention the archive, and in fact that is where I read about it. But I
            read about it recently. lol

            stevo