Re: Phonological equivalent of "The quick brown fox..."

  • Sanghyeon Seo
    Message 1 of 44 , Jan 31 10:00 PM
      2007/2/1, Sai Emrys <sai@...>:
      > "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" is used to test
      > typewriters because it contains all the letters of English.
      >
      > What are equivalent spoken phrases, i.e. that contain all (English)
      > phonemes (or phones, if you feel particularly ambitious)?

      That would heavily depend on accents, right? This is definitely inviting YAEPT.

      I know one of our fellow conlangers, Justin B Rye, have composed a
      such sentence for his accent. Have a look at here:
      http://www.xibalba.demon.co.uk/jbr/phono.html

      Are those shy Eurasian footwear, cowboy chaps, or jolly earthmoving headgear?
      /ɑː ðəʊz ʃɑɪ jʊəˈɹɛɪʒən ˈfʊtwɛə ˈkæʊbɔɪ ʧæps ɔː ˈʤɒliː ˈɜːθˌmuːvɪŋ ˈhɛdɡɪə/

      --
      Seo Sanghyeon
    • Daniel Prohaska
      Message 44 of 44 , Feb 12, 2007
        Thank you Mark, that is indeed all I wanted to say: In my lect I have
        phonemically contrastive vowel quanity.

        Dan