Re: OT: Translation (was Re: Spanish translation needed)

  • Philip Newton
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2007
      On 1/3/07, Eric Christopherson <rakko@...> wrote:
      > This reminds me -- does anyone on this list do translation for money?
      > What are your experiences with it? I would somewhat like to do
      > English/Spanish translation (since I have this Spanish degree I'm
      > doing nothing with), but from people I've talked to it sounds like it
      > might not be something I could support myself on. Still, I'd like to
      > know how to go about getting into it,

      Get a degree.

      TTBOMK, there are specific degrees in translating, and I imagine that
      for serious jobs, you'd need specific job-related (i.e. translating)
      credentials, not just generic language-related ones.

      Just knowing a language is not enough to translate into or out of it, I think.

      Also, I believe that it's considered best practice to translate into
      one's native language only, not into any other language one may have
      learned (those are fine as source languages, but not as target
      language).

      Unless you really have native-like fluency with idiom, fine shades of
      meaning, and a broad vocabulary, then perhaps... but in general, no.

      If you use LiveJournal, the "interlingual" community may be a place to
      ask; it's intended to be a gathering-place for professional
      translators and interpreters, though it's rather low-volume.

      Which reminds me: translating and interpreting are also two different
      skill-sets, and someone who's good at one may not be good at the
      other. So you'd also need to decide whether you want to translate
      (written documents) or interpret (spoken words).

      Cheers,
      --
      Philip Newton <philip.newton@...>