Re: OT: Re: Spanish translation needed

  • Eric Christopherson
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2007
      On Jan 3, 2007, at 12:15 AM, Eric Christopherson wrote:

      > On Dec 31, 2006, at 2:07 PM, veritosproject@... wrote:
      >
      >> A friend of mine submitted a few words to me. Try these in Google
      >> Russian Translator, noting the case.
      >> * Peter Norton
      >> * washington
      >> * usa
      >> * yahoo
      >> * google
      >
      > I tried them as a list first, using your asterisks, and it shot out
      > (converting Cyrillic for those who can't read it): "* * Peter
      > Norton nabokov 50mb * * * google yahoo" -- which is pretty strange,
      > but I figured part of the weirdness was due to the fact that it's
      > processing the words (incorrectly, as it turns out) as a phrase,
      > instead of as separate entities. So I put a period after each one,
      > and got "* Peter Norton. * nabokov. * 50mb. * yahoo. * google." But
      > when I tried putting in each one by itself, the results were fairly
      > ordinary.

      Oops -- it turns out that when I tried each word/phrase by itself, I
      capitalized them -- without capitalizing them, I still got "50mb" for
      "usa" and "nabokov" for "washington". Weird.

      > (At first I thought by "noting the case" you meant to look at the
      > grammatical case of the output, but now I see you meant upper vs.
      > lower case.)
    • Philip Newton
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2007
        On 1/3/07, Eric Christopherson <rakko@...> wrote:
        > This reminds me -- does anyone on this list do translation for money?
        > What are your experiences with it? I would somewhat like to do
        > English/Spanish translation (since I have this Spanish degree I'm
        > doing nothing with), but from people I've talked to it sounds like it
        > might not be something I could support myself on. Still, I'd like to
        > know how to go about getting into it,

        Get a degree.

        TTBOMK, there are specific degrees in translating, and I imagine that
        for serious jobs, you'd need specific job-related (i.e. translating)
        credentials, not just generic language-related ones.

        Just knowing a language is not enough to translate into or out of it, I think.

        Also, I believe that it's considered best practice to translate into
        one's native language only, not into any other language one may have
        learned (those are fine as source languages, but not as target
        language).

        Unless you really have native-like fluency with idiom, fine shades of
        meaning, and a broad vocabulary, then perhaps... but in general, no.

        If you use LiveJournal, the "interlingual" community may be a place to
        ask; it's intended to be a gathering-place for professional
        translators and interpreters, though it's rather low-volume.

        Which reminds me: translating and interpreting are also two different
        skill-sets, and someone who's good at one may not be good at the
        other. So you'd also need to decide whether you want to translate
        (written documents) or interpret (spoken words).

        Cheers,
        --
        Philip Newton <philip.newton@...>