Re: [-SPAM-] Re: OT catachist etc

    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 3, 2006
      Lars Finsen wrote:
      > Den 20. nov. 2006 kl. 20.57 skrev R A Brown:
      >

      >> From this verb are derived quite regularly:
      >> - a masculine noun with suffix -mos, denoting process, namely
      >> _kate:khismos_ (catechism - the system of oral instruction);
      >> - the masculine noun with suffix -te:s denoting 'agent'*, namely
      >> _kate:khiste:s_ (catechist - one who gives oral instruction).
      >>
      >> *Female agent ended in -tria, -tris or -tis. But *kate:khistis would
      >> still turn up in English as 'catechist' :)
      >

      > Do you have etymologies for these suffixes? Seems like useful stuff.

      Sorry not to have replied sooner - have been laid up with flu, but now
      fit & well.

      Sorry - I don't have etymologies. Maybe PIEists on the list can help. I
      assume the -te:s (nom.; stem -te:- ) ending is a nominal use of the PIE
      -t- formative suffix which IIRC formed (de)verbal adjective, indifferent
      as to voice.

      -tis is just the feminine of -te:s with the formative element -id-. I
      assume -tria & -tris (-trid-) are Greek formations adding a feminine
      suffix to the IE agent suffix -tor ~ -ter ~ -tr

      I have no idea about -mo-, sorry :=(

      I have no idea

      ray@...
      Nid rhy hen neb i ddysgu.
      There's none too old to learn.
      [WELSH PROVERB}
    • Lars Finsen
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 3, 2006
        Den 3. des. 2006 kl. 15.47 skrev R A Brown:

        > Sorry not to have replied sooner - have been laid up with flu, but
        > now fit & well.

        Good for you.

        > Sorry - I don't have etymologies. Maybe PIEists on the list can
        > help. I assume the -te:s (nom.; stem -te:- ) ending is a nominal
        > use of the PIE -t- formative suffix which IIRC formed (de)verbal
        > adjective, indifferent as to voice.

        Ok, yes, I am using that a lot in Urianian.

        > -tis is just the feminine of -te:s with the formative element -id-.
        > I assume -tria & -tris (-trid-) are Greek formations adding a
        > feminine suffix to the IE agent suffix -tor ~ -ter ~ -tr

        Possibly. I should make more use of that one in Urianian, I think.

        > I have no idea about -mo-, sorry :=(

        Well maybe it's related to an instrumental plural or something. I
        have checked Sihler's comparative Greek/Latin, but it's concentrating
        annoyingly on roots, like most comparative books. I find it hard to
        locate sufficient information on derivative suffixes.

        LEF