Re: [-SPAM-] USAGE: Latin for "uncaring"

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
      Andreas Johansson wrote:
      > I was trying to translate the phrase "under uncaring stars" into Latin the other
      > day, and found that the Latin-English dictionaries at my disposal helpfully fail
      > to include the word "uncaring". I made a guess and went with _incurans_, but
      > does anyone one here know better?

      *incurans is not Classical - and if it had occurred would, I think, have
      meant "not curing, not healing."

      I suggest: sub insollicitis stellis

      ray@...
      Nid rhy hen neb i ddysgu.
      There's none too old to learn.
      [WELSH PROVERB}
    • Andreas Johansson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
        Quoting R A Brown <ray@...>:

        > Andreas Johansson wrote:
        > > I was trying to translate the phrase "under uncaring stars" into Latin the
        > other
        > > day, and found that the Latin-English dictionaries at my disposal helpfully
        > fail
        > > to include the word "uncaring". I made a guess and went with _incurans_,
        > but
        > > does anyone one here know better?
        >
        > *incurans is not Classical - and if it had occurred would, I think, have
        > meant "not curing, not healing."
        >
        > I suggest: sub insollicitis stellis

        I suppose I'd be fine with medieval too, but _insollicitus_ looks the ticket. My
        thanks! :)

        Andreas