Re: Weekly Vocab #1.1.10 (repost #1)

  • Remi Villatel
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2006
      On Friday 03 November 2006 05:01, Henrik Theiling wrote:

      In Shaquelingua:

      1. house = ktat [ktat]

      2. wall = çeidiga [Ce"idiga]

      3. door = yiklis [Hi.klis]

      4. "threshold" = roife [Xo'ife] = opening, passage

      5. window = xusiç [ZusiC]

      6. lock = txōyās [tCOH3s]

      7. room = leyo [4ewo]

      8. bathroom = çyidelo [CHide4o] (where you go alone)
      = tājegelo [t3jege4o] (where you can wash yourself)

      9. corner

      The closest expression to "corner" is "part of room".

      çudi leyo suva [Cudi lewo suva]
      = **at a part of room
      = in a corner

      /çu(d)/ is the partitive quantifier meaning "a part of". When you need to be
      more precise, you explicitely use the concept /çya/ = part.

      yōji (fra-leyo) tailō çya suva [wOji fXa:4ewo ta"i4O CHa suva]
      = in the south part (of a/the room)

      10. "ceiling" = lōbēbar [4ObEbaX] = inner top part

      > > My house has a door that faces north, but windows that face east and
      > > west.

      je zēle vātsuko yiklis keja tiyō ktat ; dōki ; be fare kitxoko si xēyōko
      tajira xusiç.

      [je: zE4e v3.tsuko Hi.k4is keja: tiwO ktat]
      [dOki]
      [be: faXe ki.tCoko si ZewOko tajiXa: ZusiC]

      je zēle vātsuko yiklis keja tiyō ktat
      INDEF.SG EQUA toward.north door 1SG.POSS IND+ATMP house

      dōki
      but

      be fare kitxoko si xēyōko taji -ra xusiç
      QLT EQUA toward.west and toward.east IRR.3SG.POSS-PL window

      = My house has a door toward north but its windows are toward east and west.

      > > That unusual house has 6 walls per room.

      re çafi-çeidiga zēle leyo çija tiyō kubisiu ktat.
      [Xe: Cafi:Ce"idiga zE4e 4ewo Cija: tiwO kubisi"u ktat]

      re çafi --çeidiga zēle leyo
      PL NUM.6--wall EQUA room

      çi -ja tiyō kubisiu ktat
      DEM-SG IND+ATMP unordinary house

      = This unusual house has six-walled rooms.

      > > The threshhold is where the door is.

      yōje yiklis fare suva yōja tiyō roife.
      [wOje: Hi.k4is faXe suva wOja: tiwO Xo"ife]

      yō -je yiklis fare suva yō -ja tiyō roife
      DEF-SG door EQUA at DEF-SG IND+RTSP opening

      = The opening is at the door.

      (As much stupid in Shaquelingua as in English.) ;-)

      > > There aren't any locks on the doors, not even on the bathroom door.

      ske zēle txōyās yōra tiyō yiklis ; yōja kili lajiyō çyidelo.
      [ske: zE4e tCOH3s wOXa tiwO Hi.k4is]
      [wOja: ki4i 4ajiwO CHide4o]

      ske zēle txōyās yō -ra tiyō yiklis
      ANUM EQUA lock DEF-PL IND+ATMP door

      yō -ja kili la -jiyō çyidelo
      DEF-SG too NEG-IMPL+ATMP bathroom

      = The doors have no lock, (so) doesn't the bathroom either.

      > > In the southern corner, against the ceiling, there are many cobwebs.

      yōji tailō çya fare bēva sera tiyō rjusā diga.
      [wOji: ta"i4O CHa faXe bEva seXa: tiwO Xjus3 diga]

      yō -ji tailō çya fare bēva
      DEF-SG south part EQUA at.top.of

      se -ra tiyō rjusā diga
      AUGM-PL IND+ATMP animal construction

      = **A lot of animal constructions are at the top of the southern part.

      (I haven't thought about if there will be spider-like insects on Shaquie.)

      --
      ==================
      Remi Villatel
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
        Den 3. nov. 2006 kl. 05.01 skrev Henrik Theiling:

        >> Note: I'm going to give fewer context sentences since it seems
        >> that 10 is too
        >> many.

        I must admit I have felt pretty exhausted after some of them 10-
        sentence sessions. Happy, but exhausted. And I little worried from
        having kept my customers on hold for so long.

        >> 1. house

        Urianian: tam
        Gaajan: eje

        >> 2. wall

        U: tamuz, viruz, or virdim (there may be some nuances; this I have to
        sort out)
        G: jem

        >> 3. door

        U: zyr (physical door), gurd (door, doorway)
        G: kuda

        >> 4. threshold

        U: zult or dirkulz (spiritually important)
        G: unknown, but I could construct ejona (house-limit)

        >> 5. window

        U: lagats, vimf
        G: jenguja

        >> 6. lock (v or n)

        U: erkid (v), erl (n)
        G: againjanaim (v & n)

        >> 7. room

        U: sil
        G: kunja

        >> 8. bathroom

        U: larsil (wash & toilet, but toilet also: sendil)
        G: agasab (latrine, where you don't go alone; no special room for
        washing)

        >> 9. corner

        U: niv (general), tang (outside corner of house)
        G: kunjama (Gaajans had round houses, but kunjama was used for a
        small enclosure against the wall for stacking things)

        >> 10. ceiling

        U: karn (ceiling, arc, doorway), rivl (roof, ceiling)
        G: ijem (ceiling, no word for roof)

        >> My house has a door that faces north, but windows that face east
        >> and west.

        U: Ma tanja e gurd nerda, da vimfi ora je usta. (my house-gen.sg is
        door north-acc.sg, but window-nom.pl east-acc.sg and west-acc.sg)
        G: Ejemake kuda a sapelti ko jusu jengujau anjire iganti ereptita ko
        junjisu. (house-my-erg door it-has-it north-all look it-does-rel
        window-pl it-has-them-but east-all west-all-and look they-do-rel)

        Older Urianians would say 'tamia' instead of 'tanja'.

        >> That unusual house has 6 walls per room.

        U: Tamits alun sin tanzi six siljana. (house-dem.gen.sg unusual are
        wall-nom.pl six room-gen.pl-each)
        G: Pos ejedake kunjanan arild jemu anji. (strange house-that-erg room-
        gen-each six wall-pl it-has-them.

        >> The threshold is where the door is.

        U: Dirkulz e ted zyrja. (threshold is place door-gen.sg)
        G: Ejona kudan jum ju. (threshold door-gen place it-is)

        >> There aren't any locks on the doors, not even on the bathroom door.

        U: Elli ni sin zyrsi, ni sin idu zyru larsilja. (lock-nom.pl not they-
        are door-loc.pl, not they-are even door-loc.sg bathroom-gen.sg)
        G: Ara kudauke againjanaimu anjinje, aras agasabin kudake anji. (not
        door-pl-erg lock-pl they-have-them, not-also latrine-gen door-erg it-
        has-them)

        >> In the southern corner, against the ceiling, there are many
        >> cobwebs.

        U: Nivu suldira bil uki lir karna gromin. (corner-loc.sg south-acc.sg
        much [cob-]web it-hangs-loose ceiling-acc.sg pile-stat.part) [finally
        I get to use a participle]
        G: Asati kunjamam ijemti upenun ukiweos iunji. (south-all corner-loc
        roof-all spider-pl-gen web-pl-many they-are)

        As a bonus I will give you an Urianian creation myth in Old Urianian,
        from the novel that came back to me, refused, from the publisher
        Saturday before last. It is not easy to publish a fantasy novel in a
        small language like ours. Maybe I should get myself an English
        ghostwriter. Or maybe I should work a little harder to make it un-
        refusable.

        1.
        Wirnio vrater jet Jemios. (The brother of Wirnos was Jemios.)
        Pater ison jet Diunos. (Their father was our Dius.)
        Dius wenet ejo vornons, (Dius loved his children,)
        wenet mukise Jemion. (Though he loved Jemios more.)
        2.
        Jemios virdon vedgevjet. (Jemios played virdos well.)
        Wirnos semos dine nudjet. (One day, Wirnos won.)
        'Me ocete!' Wirnos socjet. ('Look at me!' said Wirnos.)
        Socjet Dius 'Qeras sinos'. (Dius said, 'Pure luck.')
        3.
        Wirnos nu hremzidjet wogre. (Wirnos now was mighty angry.)
        Hrodon havjet mari ejo. (He took a stone in his hand.)
        Kladjet Jemjon keri eme. (He struck Jemios on the head with it.)
        Krojet zimon, nus, Jemios. (Jemios fell to the ground, dead.)
        4.
        Socjet Dius 'Cid nu zosa?' (Dius said, 'Now what have you done?')
        'Sogize me, dolon ne jet.' ('Sorry, I didn't mean it.')
        Dius ocjet mahun murton. (Dius looked at his dead son.)
        'Emoi klurtod,' socjet Dius. ('For this you shall pay,' said Dius.)
        5.
        'Tome wergesiom vuton.' ('Then I will make a world.')
        Vrezle tegjet vugi naus. (He thrust a knife in the corpse's belly.)
        Krus remujet, erjet morin. (The blood ran out, it became the sea.)
        Eran tomod kiltos erjet. (The meat however turned to land.)
        6.
        Wirnos lojet pilons kerod. (Wirnos cut off the hair on the head.)
        Witons kaitons wergit emod. (Wide forests he made from it.)
        Genjet glevons nasod vratros. (He created mountains from his
        brother's nose.)
        Glegomos wergit nu acans. (But from his eyes he made lakes.)
        7.
        Vrezle rujet vugon vratros. (With the knife he opened his brother's
        belly.)
        Enteromos wergit ajons. (He made ores from the entrails.)
        Necri erjont zanon jeson. (The kidneys became the red copper.)
        Jecritos karon isarnon. (The liver became the hard iron.)
        8.
        Gudos erjet megon moson (The intestine became the great worm)
        kuton, kreton ce porwemon. (who digs, shakes and emits fire.)
        Lecmons, krendon nemjet Diwe. (The lungs and stomach he gave to Dius.)
        Kerdon tome havjet semi. (But the heart he took himself.)
        9.
        Wirnos teljet kaptun vratros. (Wirnos lifted his brother's head.)
        Sweljet kerson, vade smegjet. (He drank the brains, they tasted good.)
        Lojet nu peson ce nerhons. (Now he cut off the penis and testicles.)
        Korjet trege qrohi imbi. (He hung them about his neck.)
        10.
        Socjet nu Wirnos pateron: (Now Wirnos said to his father,)
        'Patru, nu lecom Simudan. ('Father, now I leave Simuda.)
        Wersiom imbi men vuti. (I will wander about in my world.)
        Wersiom imbi Jemion'. (I will wander about in Jemios.')
        11.
        Socjet nu vadsenton Diwe, (Now he said goodbye to Dius,)
        nion werjet vuti ejo. (and wandered down into his world.)
        Widjet vujet sonte vados. (And he saw that is was truly good.)
        Wenjet Dius mahun murton. (Dius still loved his dead son.)
        12.
        Wirnos werjet kaiti, plati. (Wirnos wandered through forests and
        plains.)
        Werjet zolisu ce mendi. (He wandered in valleys and mountains.)
        Qemjet nu acan mendisu. (Then he came to a mountain lake.)
        Aca vlegon Genowa. (The shining lake of Genowa.)
        13.
        Zopod acas lokis vajet. (From the deeps of the lake a light was
        shining.)
        Lokis ajas, Swelnios nomnos. (The light of life, called Swelnios.)
        Wirnos ton repkon nu hezjet. (Wirnos now desired this treasure.)
        Rinos niqus emot stajet. (The giant Rinos stood before him.)
        14.
        Rinos petjet nu qejaja. (Now Rinos stormed ferociously forth.)
        Pese vratros Wirnos tozjet. (Wirnos struck with his brother's penis.)
        Teno krojet Rinos tronti. (Then Rinos fell down on the lakeside.)
        Qaket to Zasnuwios. (But Zasnuwios sprang forth.)
        15.
        Zasnuwios venjet Wirnon. (Zasnuwios hit Wirnos.)
        Pese Wirnos tuzjet wrete. (Wirnos struck with the penis again.)
        Zasnuwios krojet tronti. (Zasnuwios fell down on the lakeside.)
        Teno secrit Nilos niqus. (Then the giant Nilos appeared.)
        16.
        Nilos veldit ce dekukjet. (Nilos kicked as well as hit.)
        Verjet ne peson Jemios. (He could not stand against the penis of
        Jemios.)
        Wirnos trins niquns esohe. (Wirnos defeated the three giants.)
        Swelnos asjet skire zopi. (Swelnos burned brilliantly in the deeps.)
        17.
        Seljet Wirnos lekons vratros. (Wirnos took his brother's genitals.)
        Wodran sojet, peson, nerhons. (He threw them in the water, the penis
        and testicles.)
        Aca erjet jeston, werton. (The lake started boiling and rising.)
        Ocis Jemios nu serpit. (The eye of Jemios now overflowed.)
        18.
        Niqus tronti erjont urans, (The giants on the lakeside turned into
        rivers,)
        urans tris megons vutio, (The three great rivers of the world,)
        Rinos, Nilos, Zasnuwios, (Rinos, Nilos, Zasnuwios,)
        vruson ajaja Jemion. (flowing with life to Jemios.)
        19.
        Stehjet Aha swelon wodras. (Up from the waters rose the burning Aja.)
        Simudas qemjet Murtonos. (From Simuda came Murtonos.)
        Wideont vad vujet vuton. (They looked at the world and found it good.)
        Wenjet Dius to Jemion. (Dius still loved Jemios.)
        20.
        Mauros jet, supjet Jemios. (It was darkness, Jemios slept.)
        Madjet Aja nu Murtonon. (Now Aja met with Murtonos.)
        Loki qemjet, ke Saulos. (Lights came, here Saulos.)
        Simudi to Mentis vajet. (But in Simuda Mentis shone.)

        This is the end of the first song I think. I haven't written any
        more, but the next one should tell of the origin of the other gods,
        and of the animals and people of Jemios, the world, as Aja, the
        goddess of life, copulated with Murtonos, the god of death, begetting
        mortals. Mortals are generally disliked by gods, as we all know. But
        they have a friend in Wirnos.

        Not a particularly beautiful story, I guess. But it has its good points.

        LEF
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2006
          Did this one long ago, but omitted one term, apparently:

          KASH:
          > 1. house
          puna

          > 2. wall
          exterior/interior: ñera
          defensive/boundary: ñeraka (...+big)
          panels woven fronds/split wood (lightweight, interior): hafa
          id. (heavyweight, exterior/fencing): haprak (...+big)

          > 3. door
          general: door, doorway, gate: findu
          actual door (what you build, or buy at the lumberyard): ekapindu (ekam
          'leaf' +...)

          > 4. threshold
          pripindu (step+door---NEW)

          > 5. window
          çumbuna ~colloq. çupuna (<eye+house)

          > 6. lock (v or n)
          as vb. olek 'locked', rumolek (caus.) 'to lock s.t.'
          noun: añolek

          > 7. room
          atel

          > 8. bathroom
          atetroçin (atel+toçin 'bathe') in a modern house, for washing only, usu. a
          shower
          yutroçin (place+...) (rural) usu. outdoor place, river, pool, or just a big
          barrel of water that you scoop over yourself (and perhaps companions)
          eyurun (DEF+place) the toilet, restroom etc. (I love the Indonesian
          expression di belakang 'at back', but didn't want to translate directly
          :-) )

          > 9. corner
          çulo (also 'angle')-- çuloni atel 'corner of the room'; çuloni ratu 'corner
          of the street'

          > 10. ceiling
          ninat; might consist of _hafa_
        • caeruleancentaur
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 13, 2006
            Senjecas:

            1. house = mhêêsos < mhêêsa, live, dwell, reside, inhabit.

            2. wall = arhgâmos < ârhga, 1) t.v. close, shut, lock- (-in, -up);
            block, obstruct, blockade. 2) i.v. close, shut, lock; block, be in
            the way.

            3. door = ðûrhos < ðûrha 1) t.v. shut the door on [s.o./s.th.],
            close the entrance-, -to, -of. 2) i.v. shut the door.

            4. threshhold = ðurhmôrhdzos < ðûrhos, door, + môrhdzos, boundary.

            5. window = nelhos < nelha, t.v. bore through, drill, pierce,
            penetrate, perforate, gimlet.

            6. lock = arhgûrhos (see #2).

            7. room = mhexrhêêdzos < mhêca, separate, + rhêêdzos, space.

            8. bathroom = lomhdârhos < lômha, 1) t.v. wash, launder. 2) i.v.
            wash, launder, + -dârhos, noun suffix naming the place where the
            action of the verb occurs.

            There is also tsecüdêmos, latrine, outhouse, < tsêcüa, defecate, +
            dêmos, building.

            9. corner (angle, nook, quoin) = cânþos < cânþa, 1) t.v. corner. 2)
            i.v. corner.

            10. ceiling = mhexrhéédzvîîrhcos < mhexrhêêdzos, room, + vîîrhcos,
            height.

            My house has a door that faces north, but windows that face east and
            west.
            n-os tsôômhrh-am ânt-i ðûrh-os m-úsïo mhees-ôsï-' o ês-a. nelh-ôes
            ánt-i aaûs-am-cüe mhêês-am-cüe ânt-a.
            that-NOM.sg north-ACC.sg oppose-REL door-NOM.sg I-GEN.sg house-
            GEN.sg-ELIS to be-IND. window-NOM.pl oppose-CONJ east-ACC.sg.-and
            west-ACC.sg-and face-IND

            That unusual house has 6 walls per room.
            süêts sênïo mhéxrheedz-ôsï-' o árhgam-ôes n-süêêðmho mhees-ôsïo n-
            ósï-' o ês-a.
            six each room-GEN.sg-ELIS to wall-NOM.pl. PRIV-usual house-GEN.sg
            that.GEN.sg-ELIS to be-IND

            The threshhold is where the door is.
            ðurhmôrhdz-os ðurh-ôsïo stiiv-ôsïo éna ês-a.
            threshold-NOM.sg door-GEN.sg place-GEN.sg in be-IND

            There aren't any locks on the doors, not even on the bathroom door.
            ðurh-ôm éna árhgurh-ôes vûûl-a ne. lómhdarh-ôsïo ðurh-ôsïo éna ténd-
            u ne.
            door-GEN.pl in door-NOM.pl there.be-IND not. bathroom-GEN.sg door-
            GEN.sg in time-ADV not

            In the southern corner, against the ceiling, there are many cobwebs.
            pûlo tsérht-ë-mhev-ôes süôôlo canþ-ôsïo éna, mhexrhééviirhc-ôsïo ánt-
            a, vûûl-a.
            many spider-EPEN-fabric-NOM.pl southern corner-GEN.sg in
            ceiling.GEN.sg oppose-PREP there-be-IND

            camouflage, protective coloring (n) = laaðtsîmhos < lââða, 1) t.v.
            conceal, hide, secrete. 2) i.v. hide, + tsîmha 1) t.v.
            color, dye, stain, paint (over), bedaub. 2) i.v. color, dye, stain,
            paint.

            camouflage (v) = laaðtsîmhôsïo éna oûta, dress in camouflage.

            The troops camouflaged themselves before they went into enemy
            territory.
            pits-ûsïo rhemh-om lêj-u pér-a tsâþm-us pótï-n-um lááðtsimh-ôsïo éna
            per oût-a.
            enemy-GEN.sg territory-ACC.sg enter-SUP before-PREP troops-NOM.sg
            self-that-ACC.sg camouflage-GEN.sg in PAST.PART dress-IND

            Charlie
            http://wiki.frath.net/senjecas
          • Dennis Paul Himes
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 18, 2006
              Henrik Theiling <theiling@...> wrote:

              > Last posted: May 31st, 2002

              I did these for Gladilatian back then. This is for Seezzitonian.

              >> From: Aidan Grey <grey@...>
              >>
              >> Brought to you by a (architecture), d (directions), and subordinate
              >> clauses.
              >>
              >> Note: I'm going to give fewer context sentences since it seems that 10
              >> is too many.
              >>
              >> 1. house

              xapo

              >> 2. wall

              sstto

              >> 3. door

              ssttofo

              >> 4. threshold

              mowo

              >> 5. window

              wosstto

              >> 6. lock (v or n)

              n. eexaabaadait
              v. eexaabaadap, eexaabaadab

              >> 7. room

              xamino

              >> 8. bathroom

              xaminotteetto

              >> 9. corner

              ssttoyo

              >> 10. ceiling

              zinitmaddyo

              >> My house has a door that faces north, but windows that face east and
              >> west.

              Xapo bodo doto ssttofoj omoj feenomom, empewossttopaj omopaj feeddom
              efeumom.

              house-NOM 1XS-POSS-PS have-IND-PRES-3PS door-S-ACC-IND-PRES
              exist-IND-PRES-PS-ACC north-S-ASS-IND-PRES but-window-P-ACC-IND-PRES
              exist-IND-PRES-3PP-ACC east-S-ASS-IND-PRES and-west-S-ASS-IND-PRES

              >> That unusual house has 6 walls per room.

              Xapo tibaabo doto ssttopaj ssilop xaminotet.

              house-NOM be_typical-NEG-3PS have-IND-PRES-3PS wall-P-ACC-IND-PRES
              six-3P-IND-PRES room-S-DIS-IND-PRES

              >> The threshhold is where the door is.

              Mowo omo lobiblobib omo sstto.

              threshold-S-NOM exist-IND-PRES-3PS RELATIVE_PRONOUN-PS-LOC-PS-LOC
              exist-IND-PRES-3PS door-S-NOM

              Note: There's an understood "pobib" ("at the place") here. "The threshold
              is (at the place) at which is the door." I took advantage of Seezzitonian's
              loose word order to make the sentence nicely symmetric.

              >> There aren't any locks on the doors, not even on the bathroom door.

              Eexaabaadapiit obait ssttobib, eeyobait ssttobib xaminottettoyo.

              lock-P-NOM exist-NEG-IND-PRES-3TP door-P-LOC-IND-PRES
              surprising-exist-NEG-IND-PRES-3TP door-S-LOC-IND-PRES bathroom-S-ASS-PS

              >> In the southern corner, against the ceiling, there are many cobwebs.

              SSttoyobib feemeenomeemo mimeejo zinitmaddyoj fiblitxixiit zumiit.

              corner-S-LOC south-S-ADE-PS touch-IND-PRES-1PS ceiling-S-ACC-IND-PRES
              web-P-NOM be_many-IND-PRES-3TP

              >> Aidan

              Personal pronouns are indicated by the person number followed by case data,
              e.g. 1XS-ASS-1F for "boyu", meaning "my"

              NEG is the abbreviation for a negative form.

              GENDERS
              F Feminine
              M Masculine
              P Positional
              T Transportable
              U Uncountable

              NUMBERS
              P Plural
              S Singular

              CASES
              ABE Abessive
              ABL Ablative
              ACC Accusative
              ADE Adessive
              ASS Associative
              BEN Benefactive
              CAU Causative
              COM Comitative
              DER Derivative
              DIS Distributive
              ILL Illative
              INE Inessive
              INS Instrumentive
              LOC Locative
              NOM Nominative
              POS Possessive
              PRO Prolative
              VOC Vocative
              Adjectival cases can be distinguished from the corresponding adverbal cases
              because the latter will be followed by gender and number and the latter by
              tense and mood.

              PERSONS
              1N First Person Inclusive
              1X First Person Exclusive
              2 Second Person
              3F Third Person Feminine
              3M Third Person Masculine
              3P Third Person Positional
              3T Third Person Transportable
              3U Third Person Uncountable

              TENSES
              FUT Future
              PAST Past
              PRES Present

              MOODS
              ANAL Analytic
              IND Indicative
              HYP Hypothetic
              OPT Optative
              SUB Subjunctive

              Dennis Paul Himes <> himes@...
              http://home.cshore.com/himes/dennis.htm
              Gladilatian page: http://home.cshore.com/himes/glad/lang.htm
              Seezzitonian page: http://home.cshore.com/himes/umuto/lang.htm

              Disclaimer: "True, I talk of dreams; which are the children of an idle
              brain, begot of nothing but vain fantasy; which is as thin of substance as
              the air." - Romeo & Juliet, Act I Scene iv Verse 96-99