Re: OT: Mandarin help sought

  • Philip Newton
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
      On 10/31/06, Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...> wrote:
      > I asked, and he said it's Yan4nan2. If I remember the tone
      > numbering correctly, that would be Yànnán.

      That's how I remember Mandarin tone numbering, too.
      --
      Philip Newton <philip.newton@...>
    • Eugene Oh
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2006
        2006/11/1, Philip Newton <philip.newton@...>:
        > On 10/31/06, Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...> wrote:
        > > I asked, and he said it's Yan4nan2. If I remember the tone
        > > numbering correctly, that would be Yànnán.
        >
        > That's how I remember Mandarin tone numbering, too.
        > --
        > Philip Newton <philip.newton@...>

        Indeed that is it (: Did he happen to say what his name meant or the
        characters used to write it?

        Eugene
      • Mark J. Reed
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
          On 11/4/06, Eugene Oh <un.doing@...> wrote:
          > Indeed that is it (: Did he happen to say what his name meant or the
          > characters used to write it?

          Nope. The exchange was in text, which is why I got the tones in the
          form of numbers, but I got the feeling he'd rather not dwell on his
          Chinese background. So I haven't pressed the issue. But if I find
          out I'll share.

          --
          Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>