Flight.

  • Lars Finsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2006
      I have gotten some work now. These breaks don't last long and I guess
      I should be grateful for that. But before I immerse into that stuff
      (I really like the English middles), I'd like to make a Gaajan
      version of the FLIGHT text. I am not making a precise translation
      this time, because Gaajan is designed to express things in what I
      perceive as kind of a bronze age frame of mind.

      FLIGHT - KABEDE

      That evening, I was considering whether I would eat my supper when
      the man arrived at our house, hungry and exhausted.

      Asusodaen inisatu jat kunalima ij atjo gut, muje kesonke ejenani
      sanala jaen. (lit. evening-that-at wonder I-did/had/was-to-it/she/he
      supper-my eat I-do/have/am-to-it/she/he-cond hungry, tired man-erg
      house-our arrive it/she/he-did/had/was-to-it/she/he-then)

      He was tall, with hair dyed blacker than a crow, after the custom of
      the North.

      This fits poorly into the Gaajan syntax, which requires preceding
      attributes and clauses containing verbs, so I'll rephrase a little:
      Engen iju, mon sapelamin anganjusa wensag waasu ositu ijues. (tall it/
      she/he-was/had/did hair north-loc-gen hab-method-instr black-comp
      crow-rel dye-midd it/she/he-was/had/did-and)

      These auxiliaries have the meanings 'be', 'do', 'have' depending on
      the content of the clause. Obviously the first one means 'was',
      because the clause only contains an adjective. The last one means
      'did' because it is preceded by a verb. If the clause contains no
      verb, but a noun, optionally preceded by an adjective or other
      modifiers, the meaning is 'had', but then a transitive auxiliary is
      used. If the noun precedes the adjective, the meaning is 'was' again.
      Examples (using the present tense):

      Engen ju - it(or she, he) is tall.
      Osi ju - it dyes.
      Keson engen ju - the man is tall.
      Keson a - it has a man.
      Engen keson a - it has a tall man.

      The noun here is always in the absolutive, which is unmarked. Only
      when the subject of a transitive action is specified within a clause,
      there is need for an ergative marker. Examples:

      Kesonke kunali ij a - the man eats the supper.
      Kesonke kunali a - the man is the supper.
      Kesonke ij ate - the man eats me.

      Below I will only mention the relevant meanings in the literal
      translations. Also the language has no gender, but I will mention
      only the relevant English pronouns in the literal translations below.

      While he was washing I had to dry his clothes for him in front of the
      fire.

      Hutu ijuga sisam jat gapiauni ekokaen iku anjitaila. (wash-refl he-
      did-while must I-did-to-it clothes-his fire-before-adv dry I-did-to-
      them-for-him-subj)

      He ate voraciously and drank a cup of wine which made him sleep.

      Guten ij iju ointik minsa mim jas ei jasu. (hungry-adv eat he-did
      wine-part cup drink he-did-to-it-and sleep it-did-to-him-rel) I have
      also 'eraj' which means 'put to sleep', but it seems I really don't
      need it here.

      The next morning he warned us to leave that place immediately, as the
      floods would soon overwhelm it, and it was almost too late to escape.

      Fianik lunden arakis jagai sisam agla junda wedenen joan giula,
      ispoanimajke uteti kensun adara kabede susoti juais. (following
      morning-at warn he-did-to-it-for-us must we-do-to-it-subj place-that
      once-at leave we-do-subj flood(sg)-erg soon overpower fut-it-do-to-it-
      caus flight too-late-allat it-was-for-it-and) Hm, hope I got that
      right. Note that -en is used both as an adverbial marker and as a
      temporal marker.

      All five of us mounted the horses we had bought at the last festival
      and followed him, but not without wondering fairly seriously whether
      he was in fact insane.

      Soske idunani ekowe ilin janjinje gasos satilien sukadjai janjigsu
      fian jages ara ilpanenika inisatuae jagere bowiu sujen ijujo. (all-
      erg 5-our horses mount they-did-to-them last festival-at perf-buy we-
      did-to-them-rel follow we-did-to-him-and not serious-adv-direct
      wonder-not we-did-to-it-but insane real-adv he-was-cond) Wonder if
      I'm handling the double negation right there. Too bad I don't have
      any Gaajans to ask.

      How lucky we were!

      Gida akuju igiu! (how! lucky we-were)

      Not two days later, the waters destroyed our house and all the fields
      beyond it, and most of our neighbours, who had mocked us fleeing,
      were pitiably drowned.

      Ara anim asuwe usotagen poweke ejenani soses heautikjomai sab
      janjinje osiktauke lagamunantik galawen isnelatu ijunji kabedenani
      sunaralai janjesu. (not two days later-at waters-erg house-our all-
      and fields-part-yonder-loc-dat destroy they-did-to-them most-those-
      erg neighbours-our-part pitiable-adv drown-midd they-were flight-our
      perf-mock they-did-to-it-rel)

      That's it. And it wasn't so hard! I got a few new words again, and
      didn't need to change the grammar (much). (Though I'd like to look
      for a different partitive marker.) It's quite strong now I think, and
      can handle this kind of stuff. I like this language a lot. It has a
      very analytical way with these clauses.

      Text in full:

      KABEDE

      Asusoda inisatu jat kunalima ij atjo gut, muje kesonke ejenani sanala
      jani. Engen iju, mon sapelamin anganjusa wensag waasu ositu ijues.
      Hutu ijuga sisam jat gapiauni ekokaen iku anjitaila. Guten ij iju
      ointik minsa mim jas ei jasu. Fianik lunden arakis jagai sisam agla
      junda wedenen joan giula, ispoanimajke uteti kensun adara kabede
      susoti juais. Soske idunani ekowe ilin janjinje gasos satilien
      sukadjai janjigsu fian jages ara ilpanenika inisatuae jagere bowiu
      sujen ijujo. Gida akuju igiu! Ara anim asuwe usotagen poweke ejenani
      soses heautikjomai sab janjinje osiktauke lagamunantik galawen
      isnelatu ijunji kabedenani sunaralai janjesu.

      Hm, doesn't look as much as it felt, really...

      Thanks for the exercise. Time to work now.

      LEF