Re: OT: Tinkering versus creativity

  • And Rosta
    Message 1 of 60 , Jul 2, 2006
      Mark J. Reed, responding to Ray responding to Sai:
      > On 6/29/06, R A Brown <ray@...> wrote:
      >> Good grief! If I ever get to that stage, it'll time for me to quit this
      >> mortal coil. I have never yet been able to satisfy my curiosity
      >> vis-a-vis natlangs - give me more!
      >>
      >> Many, alas, have little or no utility. Why should I bother to learn
      >> Welsh? The monolingual Welsh speakers will be little kids - if I want to
      >> speak with adults I can do so in English. Yet I have learnt some Welsh &
      >> love the language.
      >>
      >> I am fascinated by any language as language, whether it now has only 5
      >> living L1 speakers or, indeed, is no longer spoken or used.
      >
      > Ameyn! I agree so wholeheartedly with the above sentiments that I'm
      > willing to spend 20% of my daily quota on nothing but a "me too" post.

      My interest in natlangs other than English (which is the focus of the entire research component of my professional life) is only of the most casual and superficial sort. So I'm not unlike Sai's reports of himself, in this regard. I think it's quite likely that conlangers divide (to a pronounced but not exhaustive extent) into (a) artlangers with a great interest in multifarious natlangs, in language typology, and so forth, and with large and well-thumbed collections of reference grammars, and (b) engelangers whose interests in linguistics would tend to be abstracted from the specifics of particular languages.

      I note this not with any intention of making value judgements, but simply out of interest in the conlanger landscape -- out of interest, as it were, in why everybody who is here is here.

      --And.
    • Michael Adams
      Message 60 of 60 , Jul 12, 2006
        Sorry for the humor. Actually do have access to various
        dictionaries, but some of it came from reading the Encyclopedia
        Brittanica when I was like 9 or so.. Sorry for the use of
        idioims (sp). Been degrading since then..  Sadly the rest is the
        product of a classic US education system. The fun with being
        special needs, the group you all in the same boat and cut you
        off, and then wonder why you are not normal or like? Was it
        cause you was not "normal" to begin with, or just did not have
        the social contacts, education and such, that others have?

        Does raise a question, how do use humor in a Conlang? That and
        other shadings..

        One of the things that some who learn an foreign language, is
        understanding not only the vocabulary, grammer, spelling and
        such things, but also the shadings of the language.

        Like the classic ones of the word Gay..

        Old meaning was someone who as happy, likely someone who was
        oddly happy, not normal.

        But then it came to mean someone who is homosexual, even if many
        was not effeminant, some was, and they was seen as being wierd,
        odd, different aka Gay, or just too happy?

        Now the word has started to mean similar to the original
        meaning, but not quite..

        Such as being told to clean your room, "its so Gay".
        Or doing things that are uncool, are sometimes see as being
        "Gay".

        Sorry, I love to look at words that some find offensive and find
        ways to make them less so offensive, or see how they are used.
        Not only the word, but how they are used.. Inflection and such.

        No, not a trained linguist..

        Me, still trying to figure out how I am a "Pimp". Or I am Pimped
        out, or like.. The nuances of a language and how and who uses
        it..

        Mike
        Proud to be a Geek/Nerd/Wacko/Nutzo/Mutant/Basketcase/Freak..