TECH: Site Icons

  • David J. Peterson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 5, 2006
      Does anyone know how to make those little icons that appear
      next to the url on web browsers from scratch? E.g., if I created
      a .gif or .png file on my own, does anyone know how to turn
      that into a usable icon? Let me know off-list (unless others would
      be interested).

      -David

      -Jim Morrison

      http://dedalvs.free.fr/
    • Gary Shannon
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 5, 2006
        I've noticed in my web logs that everytime someone
        bookmarks my site there is a request for a file name
        "favicon.ico". Since I don't have such a file the
        server logs an error, but I've often wondered if maybe
        that's all it takes is to create such a file. It seems
        logical.

        --gary

        --- "David J. Peterson" <dedalvs@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know how to make those little icons that
        > appear
        > next to the url on web browsers from scratch? E.g.,
        > if I created
        > a .gif or .png file on my own, does anyone know how
        > to turn
        > that into a usable icon? Let me know off-list
        > (unless others would
        > be interested).
        >
        > -David

        > "A male love inevivi i'ala'i oku i ue pokulu'ume o
        > heki a."
        > "No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting
        > the dawn."
        >
        > -Jim Morrison
        >
        > http://dedalvs.free.fr/

      • Mark J. Reed
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 5, 2006
          It has to be the result of GET /favicon.ico, but it also has to be in
          a specific format (Microsoft's icon format); it can't be just any old
          image file. Google for "favicon" for all the details.

          --
          Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>
        • Sylvia Sotomayor
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 5, 2006
            It's a little more complicated than that. You need, somewhere in the
            html header the following line:
            <link rel="shortcut icon" href="name-of-file.ico" />
            replacing name-of-file with the name of the file. Of course, the href
            part has to point to the right place as well.
            That's all. Not all browsers support this feature, but the ones that
            don't ignore this instruction, so it's harmless.

            --
            Sylvia Sotomayor
            terjemar@...
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 5, 2006
              On 6/5/06, Sylvia Sotomayor <terjemar@...> wrote:
              > It's a little more complicated than that. You need, somewhere in the
              > html header the following line:
              > <link rel="shortcut icon" href="name-of-file.ico" />

              That's only if you want different icons for different pages. If you
              just want one icon for the whole site, whatever is at
              http://sitedomainname/favicon.ico is used everywhere by default, no
              HTML changes necessary.

              --
              Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>
            • Yahya Abdal-Aziz
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 6, 2006
                Hi David,

                On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, David J. Peterson wrote:

                > Does anyone know how to make those little icons that appear
                > next to the url on web browsers from scratch? E.g., if I created
                > a .gif or .png file on my own, does anyone know how to turn
                > that into a usable icon? Let me know off-list (unless others would
                > be interested).

                Easy as PIE! ;-)

                1. Open Paint in Windows (any recent version).
                2. Create a bitmap in hi-colour (24-bit), size 32x32 pixels.
                3. Save it in the Windows hi-colour Bitmap Format.
                4. Change the file extension to .ico instead of the default .bmp.

                For best results start with a larger and fairly simple picture,
                eg a head and shoulders view of a person, with good colour
                and tone contrast and well defined boundaries between
                regions of different colours. Then use the Stretch tool in
                Paint to shrink it to size.

                Yes, I think others would be interested.

                Regards,
                Yahya

                Yahya Abdal-Aziz
                Melbourne PC User Group
                Convener, Graphics Interest Group
                Convener, Music Interest Group
              • veritosproject@GMAIL.COM
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 6, 2006
                  hanuhacijaja wrote:
                  >Easy as PIE! ;-)

                  Last time I checked, PIE was kind of difficult.
                • Mark J. Reed
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 6, 2006
                    On 6/6/06, veritosproject@... <veritosproject@...> wrote:
                    > hanuhacijaja wrote:
                    > >Easy as PIE! ;-)
                    >
                    > Last time I checked, PIE was kind of difficult.

                    Especially if you're trying to pronounce it. Those laryngeals are tough!

                    ;-)

                    --
                    Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>
                  • Tristan Alexander McLeay
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 6, 2006
                      On 07/06/06, veritosproject@... <veritosproject@...> wrote:
                      > hanuhacijaja wrote:
                      > >Easy as PIE! ;-)
                      >
                      > Last time I checked, PIE was kind of difficult.

                      Dunno ... I found it a piece of pi ;)

                      [Actually, I think that's even true... If pi is infinitely long and
                      never repeating, then if you write it in binary, some piece of it
                      should be a valid PDF containing (amongst other things) a complete
                      grammar of PIE ... written in itself, using Cyrillic characters. Yes?
                      Some good library-of-babel type reading in there! Your fortune is in
                      there somewhere, just look!)

                      --
                      Tristan.
                    • Paul Bennett
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 6, 2006
                        >1. Open Paint in Windows (any recent version).
                        >2. Create a bitmap in hi-colour (24-bit), size 32x32 pixels.
                        >3. Save it in the Windows hi-colour Bitmap Format.
                        >4. Change the file extension to .ico instead of the default .bmp.

                        That'll make a passable (but non-optimal) Windows .ICO file.

                        The kind of icon I think the OP was asking about (that appears in the Address Bar, and in your Bookmarks) is called a favicon, about which see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon which contains a very instructive guide.

                        Paul
                      • Joe
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 6, 2006
                          Tristan Alexander McLeay wrote:

                          > On 07/06/06, veritosproject@... <veritosproject@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> hanuhacijaja wrote:
                          >> >Easy as PIE! ;-)
                          >>
                          >> Last time I checked, PIE was kind of difficult.
                          >

                          > Dunno ... I found it a piece of pi ;)
                          >
                          > [Actually, I think that's even true... If pi is infinitely long and
                          > never repeating, then if you write it in binary, some piece of it
                          > should be a valid PDF containing (amongst other things) a complete
                          > grammar of PIE ... written in itself, using Cyrillic characters. Yes?

                          Yes. It also includes a complete atom-by-atom description of the
                          Universe and its history.
                        • Hanuman Zhang
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 6, 2006
                            on 6/6/06 12:56 PM, Joe at joe@... wrote:

                            > Tristan Alexander McLeay wrote:

                            >>> Last time I checked, PIE was kind of difficult.
                            >>

                            >> Dunno ... I found it a piece of pi ;)
                            >>
                            >> [Actually, I think that's even true... If pi is infinitely long and
                            >> never repeating, then if you write it in binary, some piece of it
                            >> should be a valid PDF containing (amongst other things) a complete
                            >> grammar of PIE ... written in itself, using Cyrillic characters. Yes?
                            >>

                            > Yes. It also includes a complete atom-by-atom description of the
                            > Universe and its history.

                            And apparently it also has all the screen-names of the monkeys at their
                            keyboards... hehe...

                            --
                            Hanuman Zhang

                            "om hung hanumatay rudratmakai hung phat"
                            ~~~ mantra to Hanuman

                            |: dha * ga dhi * ge dha * dha * ga dhi * ge dha *
                            dha * ka ti * ka ta * ta * ga dhi * ge dha * ||

                            |: dhin * teri kita dhi * na * tun *
                            na * kat * ta * dhin * na dhin * na ||

                            |: tin * ta * teri kita tin * ta teri
                            kita dhin * dha ge na dhin * dha ge na ||

                            |: dha dhin dhin dha dha dhin dhin
                            dha na tin tin ta ta dhin dhin dha ||

                            |: dhin dhin dhage terikita tun
                            na kat ta dhage terikita dhin dhage ||

                            |: dha dha din ta kat dhage
                            din ta tete kata gadi gena ||

                            |: dha dhin * dha dha tin
                            * ta tin * dha dha dhin * ||

                            |: tin * na * teri kita
                            dhin * na * dha ge na ||

                            |: dhi na dhi dhi
                            na ti na dhi dhi na ||

                            |: tin tin na dhin na dhin na ||

                            |: dha ge na ti na ka dhi na ||

                            |: dhi dhi na dha tun na ||

                            |: kat dhe te dhe te dha
                            * ge te te te te ta * || ||
                          • Yahya Abdal-Aziz
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 7, 2006
                              Hi Paul, and others,

                              On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 Paul Bennett wrote:

> [...]

                              Optimal? Who said anything about optimal?! ;-)
                              To make a GOOD icon, you need an artist;
                              no, you need a GOOD artist; the constraint
                              of creating a useful and non-trivially different
                              representation of any thing or idea in a mere
                              2 to the power 10 pixels is a very real one.

                              To make an optimal one, you need to define
                              the criterion or objective function to optimise.
                              And what was your criterion of optimality,
                              anyway?

                              > The kind of icon I think the OP was asking about (that appears in
                              > the Address Bar, and in your Bookmarks) is called a favicon,
                              > about which see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon which
                              > contains a very instructive guide.

                              And which is just an icon, after all, for which
                              the choice of a particular name and location
                              gains certain default behaviours, nicely
                              explained in several references

                              I don't believe the original question asked for
                              "optimality"; rather, it was just "how do you
                              make ...?".

                              Regards,
                              Yahya

                            • Paul Bennett
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 7, 2006
                                >> That'll make a passable (but non-optimal) Windows .ICO file.
                                >
                                >To make an optimal one, you need to define
                                >the criterion or objective function to optimise.
                                >And what was your criterion of optimality,
                                >anyway?

                                The best Windows .ico files (relative to the needs of most content creators) contain multiple versions for display, usually several sizes and color depths. Letting Windows do the conversion for display produces results of variable quality, by which I mean the algorithm can't know which features of your particular icon are most important to you, as a content-creator.

                                >> The kind of icon I think the OP was asking about (that appears in
                                >> the Address Bar, and in your Bookmarks) is called a favicon,
                                >> about which see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon which
                                >> contains a very instructive guide.
                                >
                                >And which is just an icon, after all, for which
                                >the choice of a particular name and location
                                >gains certain default behaviours, nicely
                                >explained in several references

                                Yes, but merely knowing how to make a compatible file is not the same as knowing how to use it to best suit your purposes.

                                >I don't believe the original question asked for
                                >"optimality"; rather, it was just "how do you
                                >make ...?".

                                And your answer was how to make an .ico file, not how to make a favicon, which (as you rightly note) is more than just a grid of pixels.

                                Paul
                              • Michael Adams
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 7, 2006
                                  There used to be a program in Windows that allowed you to edit
                                  your icons. Or was it they are really just BMP files or what?

                                  I know there was a program some years ago, for win3.1 or 95 that
                                  allowed you to edit icons. Since icons are very simple files,
                                  alost like text files, sort of.

                                  Some yes are part of an EXE or like file, namely the Executable
                                  file for programs like Netscape or their installer..

                                  Also there is font editors, but .. so far not been happy with
                                  what I saw, but .. lost alot in my last HD crashes..

                                  Check out

                                  http://www.simtel.net there are a old time place to find all
                                  kinds of things shareware.

                                  Mike