Re: No rants! (USAGE: di"f"thong)

    Message 1 of 106 , Jun 1, 2006
      Aw - I disappear for a few days to south Wales and return to find 164
      emails waiting. I eagerly download them, hoping to read lots of stuff
      about conlanging & find they're mostly - {stifles big yawn}- about
      English spelling reform!

      I don't know how many times this has cropped up on the list (quite a few
      times IIRC). In my teens way back in the 50s I used to churn out English
      spelling reforms with almost the same frequency as I did auxlangs (some
      two or three a year). Proposals for English spelling reforms exist from
      at least the 19th century. The market for English spelling reforms is,
      like that for auxlangs, one where supply vastly outnumbers demand.

      Whatever we think here, or however we vote, it ain't going to happen.

      Of course the subject has spewed the inevitable YAEPT :=(

      What difference does it actually make to a phonemic spelling reform
      whether one says [k_hjEt], [k_h&t], [k_h&?], [k_hatT_d] or any of the
      other varieties of /k&t/. Obviously it ought to be spelled/spelt M-O-G ;)

      Sorry - this sounds like a rant. Well, I got tired of trashing so much
      stuff :)

      But I seem to recall this started with someone questioning the spelling
      'difthong'. As, I think, some pointed out, the advantage of the current
      spelling 'diphthong' is that it ain't prescriptive. It caters for both
      those who pronounce -phth- [pT] and those who say [fT] - same applies to
      words like 'diphtheria'.

      Michael Adams wrote:
      [snip]
      > Russians, yes, based on current in I rememember 12th century
      > Greek. Cyrillic named for St. Cyril but done my his buddy St.
      > Methodius, Cyrill did Old Church Slovonic, talk about getting
      > creative with Greek inspired characters..

      :-D

      Cyril died in 869, and his brother Methodius died in 885. Wow! - getting
      creative with 12th century Greek - no wonder these guys are honored as
      saints!

      On a positive note - besides providing me with one laugh (or should that
      be 'laff' to rhyme with 'staff', 'laph' to rhyme with 'graph' or 'lalf'
      to rhyme with 'half'?) - it was re-assuring to see that a proposal to
      reform Esperanto spelling did not start a flame war. I can remember when
      such a proposal would probably have done so - thank goodness those days
      have gone.

      Tho I am not a fan of E-o spelling, I think it is, however, up to the
      Esperanto community how they spell their language, just as it is up to
      Marc Okrand & the Klingon community how they spell their language, etc.

      Now, I've got that off my chest, I can get back to conlanging ;)

      ray@...
      "A mind which thinks at its own expense will always
      interfere with language." J.G. Hamann, 1760
    • Mark J. Reed
      Message 106 of 106 , Jun 7, 2006
        On 6/7/06, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...> wrote:
        > Amen. Tags; changes of subject lines; reconsidering list-worthyness before
        > sending it.

        [snip]
        > And think twice whether it is really list-worthy.

        As far as I'm concerned, "list-worthy" means "I know at least some of
        the people on conlang would be interested in this", which fact by
        itself usually means it's at least vaguely on-topic. I refuse to go
        to any Benesian extremes to determin listworthiness. If you don't
        want to read a message I send, by all means, don't read it. If you
        get too much email that you don't want to read - well, welcome to
        2006. That's what the delete button is for. Even GMail has one
        these days.

        --
        Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>