YAEPT: apples and oranges (was Re: 'noun' and 'adjective' (fuit: To What Extent is Standard Finnish a Conlang?))

  • Paul Bennett
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2006
      *Reply-To warning. My ISP webmail may not be brain-damaged any more, but I can't guarantee it*

      On Fri, Mar 3, 2006 at 1:35 PM, Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:

      > Mark J. Reed skrev:
      >
      > >> I once read an Anglophone phonetician pointing out
      > >>the difference in intonation between the compound _orange juice_ meaning
      > >>"juice made of oranges" and the adjective + noun phrase _orange juice_
      > >>meaning "any juice of orange color": the compound has stress only on
      > >>_orange_ while the phrase has stress on both _orange_ and _juice_.
      > >>By that criterion _apple pie_ is a compound!
      > >

      > > ? Not the way I say it; "apple pie" has equal stress on both words.
      > > When I say it with the stress only on "apple", the result sounds like
      > > someone speaking with a marked foreign accent.
      >
      > Being tone deaf I might well have gotten the details of the
      > stress wrong, but you have to agree that _apple pie_ has the
      > same stress pattern as the "juice made of oranges"
      > version of _orange juice_, whichever the actual realization
      > is, don't you (and Ray)?

      As for this transatlantic native speaker, I'd say that the /'Or\ndZu:s/ pronunciation is distinctly Leftpondian, and I'd expect /'Qr\i\ndZ 'dZu:s/ in the UK, much like /'r\Abnh@d/ vs /'r\QbIn 'hUd/, and AFAICT /'&pl=paj/ vs /'ap@l 'pAj/, though I've heard it as both a compound and a phrase in this part of the USA, along with cherry, pecan, pumpkin and sweet potato variants.

      Actually, now I roll the various pies around in my head, I think the compounded versions are a little more common around here.

      Paul