Tell your conlang story!

  • Monica Byrne
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 27, 2006
      Hi everyone!

      I'm a former subscriber to the conlanging email list. I loved it, but I couldn't keep up with the emails, so I've gone Nomail for awhile.

      But I'm contacting you now because I'm a producer for North Carolina Public Radio (check out our show: www.wunc.org/thestory/). We're currently broadcasting in North Carolina only, but we're soon going national. I would love to do a piece on conlanging, but our show is about storytelling instead of analysis or exposition, so we're looking for a few good stories about your experiences with conlanging.

      Here are a few questions to get you thinking:

      1) How did you get in to conlanging? What was your inspiration?

      2) What is your purpose in creating languages? Is it a personal art, an anthropological experiment, a pasttime...?

      3) How have people reacted when you tell them about it?

      4) Did conlanging lead you places you never expected it to take you?

      If you have any stories for me in these veins, please let me know! You can contact me at mbyrne@..., or (919) 445-9245. I'm really looking forward to hearing from you!

      Best,
      Monica Byrne

      - - - - -
      Monica Byrne
      The Story with Dick Gordon
      WUNC-FM
      120 Friday Center Drive
      Chapel Hill, NC 27517
      Work (7am-1pm): (919) 445-9245

    • Remi Villatel
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 2 3:00 PM
        Monica Byrne wrote:

        > 1) How did you get in to conlanging? What was your inspiration?

        When I was around 15, I was writing a diary. I sketched a conlang which
        was a mix of English and French. I never used it but the wirus was in
        me. The disease took ten years to appear when I wrote a Science-Fiction
        novel. As a big SF reader, I'm used to read alien gibberish in books. I
        wanted to do the same except that gibberish wasn't enough for me. The
        novel has never been published but I'm still working on the conlang.

        > 2) What is your purpose in creating languages? Is it a personal art, an
        > anthropological experiment, a pasttime...?

        A little bit of everything. I think it's an art: To find one's unique
        way to express oneself is what artists do. Sometimes I use it as a
        pasttime. With conculturing, it becomes something as serious as a
        psychological, anthropological, scientific experiment. That's crazy the
        number of different domains you must study to build a coherent word. In
        my case, it goes from astrophysics to genetics, with a great deal of
        linguistics in the middle of course.

        > 3) How have people reacted when you tell them about it?

        I'd say that the most common reaction is a lack of reaction. Amongst
        conlangers, conlanging is totally normal and for the others who usually
        think I'm weird, any increase in my weirdness doesn't trigger any
        special reaction. </cynical> ;-)

        > 4) Did conlanging lead you places you never expected it to take you?

        Not yet.

        --
        Remi Villatel