OT: Ancient Macedonian

  • Andreas Johansson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2006
      The ancient-history site Livius.org has some stuff on the language of ancient
      Macedon at http://www.livius.org/maa-mam/macedonia/macedonia.html#Language ,
      which I found interesting enough to look for further material, preferably from
      professional linguists. However, as one may guess, the modern conflict between
      Greece and Macedonia (FYROM) has resulted in alot of partisan nonsense about
      the issue on the 'Net*. Could anyone here point me to some reputable sources,
      so that I can avoid looking thru the weird stuff?

      My preemptory thanks.

      Andreas

      * My favourite nutty claim on the subject has to be that the modern Macedonian
      language is not a Slavic language, but the descendant of ancient Macedonian,
      not closely related to either Slavic or Greek.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2006
        Andreas Johansson wrote:
        > The ancient-history site Livius.org has some stuff on the language of ancient
        > Macedon at http://www.livius.org/maa-mam/macedonia/macedonia.html#Language ,
        > which I found interesting enough to look for further material, preferably from
        > professional linguists. However, as one may guess, the modern conflict between
        > Greece and Macedonia (FYROM) has resulted in alot of partisan nonsense about
        > the issue on the 'Net*.

        Yes, indeed it has. A site which claimed ancient Macedonian was Greek,
        period, is to be ignored - even more to be avoided is any site claiming
        ancient Macedonian was a (southern) Slavonic language.

        The Greeks of old regarded the Macedonians as more 'barbaroi' than
        Greek, until of course Philip came and conquered them.

        The article seems reasonably balanced to me. Whether ancient Macedonian
        is some wayward dialect of Greek - as incomprehensible to their southern
        neighbors as certain Lowland Scots dialects are to us southerns - or
        whether it should be considered a separate language is not clear in view
        of the paucity of the evidence.

        Armenian does have some affiliation to Greek, but I would not place on
        the same branch as Jona Lendering does. also the inclusion of
        Thracian/Phrygian on the same branch must be considered speculative, as
        our knowledge of these langs is somewhat limited, due to lack of
        evidence, tho what we do have points to their being of IE derivation.

        But, as I say, I by and large go along with the article - and I most
        certainly agree "it must be stressed that, unlike modern politicians and
        some modern scholars argue, language says not much about ethnicity." The
        Saami & Finns speak related language, but I understand they are quite
        different ethnically.

        > Could anyone here point me to some reputable sources,
        > so that I can avoid looking thru the weird stuff?

        'Fraid not - because I haven't looked.

        > Andreas
        >

        > * My favourite nutty claim on the subject has to be that the modern Macedonian
        > language is not a Slavic language, but the descendant of ancient Macedonian,
        > not closely related to either Slavic or Greek.

        Good grief!! That's as weird as the claim one sometimes meets that
        modern Albanian is essentially the same as ancient Etruscan - or that
        all the worlds languages are descended from Basque ;)

        ray@...
        MAKE POVERTY HISTORY