Concept maps

  • Yahya Abdal-Aziz
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2006
      Hi all,

      This article has some worthwhile reading on "concept maps".

      The Theory Underlying Concept Maps and How to Construct Them
      Article discusses the characteristics of concept maps, their epistemological
      foundations and offers instructions for creating them. By Joseph D. Novak.

      http://www.cmap.coginst.uwf.edu/info/

      Novak has been studying the psychology of learning and concept formation for
      decades. I think he's worth listening to.

      I mentioned 'cognitive maps' in reference to Sai's notion of 'non-linear
      full-2d writing systems'. This is similar in form and structure. It also
      offers free downloadable and sharable software (CMap) which I intend to try
      out - just as soon as the registration-&-download process works. I haven't
      yet found the software I mentioned, though, which I was using 2 or 3 years
      ago quite happily. (O tempora! O disk space!)

      Regards,
      Yahya

    • Yahya Abdal-Aziz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2006
        On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, taliesin the storyteller wrote:

        > * Yahya Abdal-Aziz said on 2006-01-30 13:50:55 +0100
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > This article has some worthwhile reading on "concept maps".
        > >
        > > The Theory Underlying Concept Maps and How to Construct Them
        > > Article discusses the characteristics of concept maps, their
        epistemological
        > > foundations and offers instructions for creating them. By Joseph D.
        Novak.

        > > http://www.cmap.coginst.uwf.edu/info/
        >
        > 404, remove www for correct link.

        Thanks, taliesin, that was careless of me.
        Clicking this link does work:
        http://cmap.coginst.uwf.edu/info/

        I've since successfully downloaded and installed the software,
        and used it to produce a test cognitive map of "Partnerships".
        The software works flawlessly and quite intuitively, I think.
        I'd be interested to hear what others think of it.

        Regards,
        Yahya