The Christmas Invasion

  • Peter Bleackley
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
      The episode of Doctor Who shown at Christmas contained the first use of a
      conlang for significant amounts of dialogue in the history of the
      programme. Previously, the TARDIS' telepathic circuitry has always
      translated whatever alien languages are encountered (apart from a few lines
      of a Venusian lullaby, sung by the Doctor in "The Curse of Peladon", which
      went to the tune of "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen"). However, this time,
      with the Doctor's regeneration failing, the circuit broke down, and Rose
      found herself unable to understand the language of the Sycorax.
      Fortunately, UNIT were able to program some sort of translator (it was
      implied that this was based on alien technology). When Rose found herself
      able to understand Sycoraxian, she realised that the Doctor had revived.

      It would be interesting to track down a copy of the script and analyse the
      Sycoraxian dialogue, but unfortunately it may take a while to do this -
      I've tried contacting the BBC's Doctor Who website, but unfortunately they
      aren't able to track down and transcribe the script. The scripts may be
      published in book form later this year, though.

      Pete
    • caeruleancentaur
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
        --- In conlang@yahoogroups.com, Peter Bleackley <Peter.Bleackley@R...>
        wrote:

        >The episode of Doctor Who...

        I always enjoyed that series!! I wonder if the episodes are on DVD
        yet, or ever will be.

        Charlie
        http://wiki.frath.net/user:caerulean
      • Peter Bleackley
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
          At 14:25 03/01/2006, you wrote:
          >--- In conlang@yahoogroups.com, Peter Bleackley <Peter.Bleackley@R...>
          >wrote:
          >
          > >The episode of Doctor Who...
          >
          >I always enjoyed that series!! I wonder if the episodes are on DVD
          >yet, or ever will be.

          The last series (with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor) is available.

          Pete
        • Tristan McLeay
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
            caeruleancentaur wrote:
            > --- In conlang@yahoogroups.com, Peter Bleackley <Peter.Bleackley@R...>
            > wrote:
            >

            >>The episode of Doctor Who...
            >

            > I always enjoyed that series!! I wonder if the episodes are on DVD
            > yet, or ever will be.

            Do you mean of Doctor Who generally, or the ones with the current
            Doctor? Certainly the ABC Shop's website turns up a number of DVDs (the
            ABC being the government-owned Australian Broadcasting Corporation, who
            broadcast a lot of BBC stuff including Doctor Who) ... and for that
            matter, Amazon.com does too.

            I dunno if any of these are of the current series, but I would expect
            they'll come eventually. (Actually, I thought to look at Wikipedia, and
            get the following enlightening page:
            <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_DVD_releases>.)

            (Is it broadcast on tv in America? I understand a lot of great British
            telly is hard to get over there---something about not finding a market
            in nearly 300 million people. If there's market in 20 million, there
            *must* be one in 300...)

            I quite enjoyed the new season. The first time I heard the theme music
            it sent shivers down my spine, remembering watching it mostly from
            behind the couch in what I suppose was the late 1980s (and perhaps early
            1990s). Haven't seen the Christmas special though: Forgot about it, and
            the Wikipedia article on it doesn't even say if it's been broadcast in
            Australia yet anyway.

            --
            Tristan.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
              Peter Bleackley wrote:
              [snip]
              > It would be interesting to track down a copy of the script and analyse
              > the Sycoraxian dialogue, but unfortunately it may take a while to do
              > this - I've tried contacting the BBC's Doctor Who website, but
              > unfortunately they aren't able to track down and transcribe the script.

              Odd - as Sycorax actually appeared in the subtitles. (We had the
              subtitles on, as there was other human noise going on in our sitting
              room :-)

              ray@...
              MAKE POVERTY HISTORY
            • Peter Bleackley
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
                At 16:56 03/01/2006, you wrote:
                >Peter Bleackley wrote:
                >[snip]
                >>It would be interesting to track down a copy of the script and analyse
                >>the Sycoraxian dialogue, but unfortunately it may take a while to do this
                >>- I've tried contacting the BBC's Doctor Who website, but unfortunately
                >>they aren't able to track down and transcribe the script.
                >
                >Odd - as Sycorax actually appeared in the subtitles. (We had the subtitles
                >on, as there was other human noise going on in our sitting room :-)

                Yes, the subtitlers would have access to the script.

                Pete